AOL Email

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting several emails daily but the recipient address is [email protected].
It is not my e-address and the subject of every email is US based, clearly originating from the US and the senders address is different on each mail but the addresses are always gobbledegook containing characters before and after the @ sign.
Clearly these mails are generated from some data base but the address is nothing at all to do with me.
I can't contact AOL as I am not registered with AOL neither do want to be, thats if it is intended for someone from AOL or maybe the AOL refers to some american mail server, but I can't comprehend how these mails with an e-address which is not mine are being directed to me.
I can't stop them as they come from different senders.
Can anyone give me any advice on stopping them or who to contact to stop them.

Sponsored Links
Can you not junk them based on the AOL.com domain? I know that Outlook let's you do this.

Ive tried marking them as Junk, but what I think that does is makes the sender as junk. The sender is different on all of the mail and what is common is the recipient address which is [email protected].
I don't know how to mark them as junk based on the aol.com domain. I am using an iMac with Safari and email server as gmail.

Now Sorted I think.
I found a setting in the advanced junk setting for mailing which allows the junking of mail to an address.
I will just have to wait and see if I get any more mails addressed to this Deborah.aol character.

Sponsored Links
My earlier mail in which stated that I thought my problem was solved.
Spoke to soon. I am using an iMac with Yosemite OS-Mail.
I used the Junk advanced settings and identified the 'to' field as the name of the recipient that I am getting messages three or four times a day. I mistakenly assumed as I had identified the name in the required field with conditions set as any and destination of the offending mail to Junk.
Unfortunately I am STILL receiving mails addressed to someone other than my e-address.
Don't understand how they get to my mailbox but I can't stop them.
PLEASE - Can anyone give me any advice an what I can do to eliminate this annoying Junk Mail.

Thanks or your suggestion 'foxhole'.
I will do that and d see if they can identify the annoying source.

Just because an email has AOL in the From field doesn't mean it was actually sent from AOL. Besides which, AOL will either do nothing or do it at a glacial pace.

Log into the web version of Gmail using Safari. Open one of the spam emails, click the 3 vertical dots on the top right (next to Reply), then click "Filter messages like these". Change the criteria to remove the From address and add @aol.com in the To address. Create filter, then tick Skip inbox, Delete, Never mark as important, and finally Create filter again.

Thanks rossj81, wasn't aware of that facility.
You referred to the mails in the FROM field, what I questioned was in fact the mails were in the TO field, I could not understand how a mail to****@aol.com could possibly end up in MY Gmail address/account.
Anyway, I have done what you suggested but was not quite able to do as you suggested namely check 'Skip', 'Delete',' Never mark Important'.
What happens is if I check the Skip option then the Delete option is disabled. SO I ended up with just selecting the 'Delete' option. Of course when doing this the Skip option is disabled. SO I have set the delete option and will see what happens.
It is very weird that I get mails addressed to ****@aol.com though
Thanks again.

Spammers often blind carbon copy addresses. So they send the original email to @aol.com and then BCC a hundred other addresses. Because yours is one of the BCC addresses, it doesn't appear on the email form, but it is there in the background.

You're right - "skip" is if you want to archive the email, not to delete it.

I hope it works, I have been getting these mails for a couple of years and could not find a solution. Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
Back