Apollo 15/30 Shorting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I'm trying to fix an Apollo 15/30 (GC No. 4178953). It was blowing fuses like no tomorrow. After rewiring the control centre I was able to trace the fault back to the boiler. When the switched live sent power to the "ON" terminal on the boiler terminal block, the fuse blew. I'm going back tomorrow to check on the boiler electrics and hoped someone might have some experience of this problem.

Thanks

Amrit

Sponsored Links
I dont understand how you can afford to make two visits to repair just one fault!

Tony

Because unlike you Agile he probably has other work to go to and can`t spend all day on one job...
Have alook at wiring harness by the pump over run stat (bottom right)they sometimes go brittle also up by th hi and lo stats if they get damp with condensation (top right) .Also the pump gets it power from the boiler so check this has not got any leaks around it

Thanks Namsag, will take a look at that!

Did note that the supressor has no resistance and am sourcing a replacement.

Sponsored Links
A typical supressor is a 100 R resistor in series with a 0.1µF capacitor.

It would therefore measure open circuit.

If you mean its short circuit that that will be the fault and could be left out of circuit for a short time until a replacement is obtained.

I spend twice as much time travelling as I do actually fixing faults.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that. Though, I am confused as chap at Baxi said I should have some resistance on the supressor and if I didn't, it was faulty.

I'm glad I'm not the only one burning up miles between jobs.

Hi Namsag, The shorting out was indeed caused by the high & low stats. The wires were brittle and the stats disintregrated when I tried to remove the connectors. After removing the wires from the terminal block I got the boiler to fire up by turning on & jumping from the "on" to the power lead tot he gas valve. Boiler fired up and no more shorts. Now off to get replacement stats & wires.

Many thanks for the help from you and Agile.

Glad to have been of help.
And Agile would have had a wiring harness and both these stats on his van to complete this job first time.. ;)

He'd have also been carrying a large selection of groceries in case the customer was short of a few items for tea and didn't fancy nipping to Asda.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back