Apollo 15/30c Heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement exchanger? Any tips on replacing it?

Livy

Sponsored Links
I've located a part list for an apollo 15/30S which may be same or similar.

Unfortunately the heat exchanger for this boiler is an obselete part which in short means that the boiler has gone to meet its maker. Its probably had a long and useful life and now needs to RIP.

If you can find a GC number I can confirm whether its the right model and probably find a part number you can try searching for. Don't hold out much hope though.

Ian

the last heat exchanger I bought for an apollo was more than £300, could be just as cost effective to buy a boiler

Hi

Thanks for the replies. The GC No is 4178955. A local plumbing shop in Luton was able to give me a part No : 402A010.

As for replacing the boiler altogether, I thought I would stick with a boiler that is as near as damn it bullet proof. You hear of reports of new boilers going pop on a regular basis.

I'll have to remove the old exchanger anyway, so I'll have a go at removing 20 years worth of gunge first.

If the new exchanger is £300 odd, that does not sound so bad for another 20 years of service.

Livy

Sponsored Links
I would suggest, if it's leaking, get a new boiler.
If it's just full of crud get it serviced by a RGI that comes reccommended, these boilers can have serious safety issues, a DIYer should not be messing with gsa/combustion/flue.

As suspected, part now obselete.

I googled the part number and one site came up with a price of £465

Even if you can get hold of one and get someone willing and competent to fit it what is going to happen when the next bit fails and thats obselete also.

Let the poor thing go

Livvy the Thorn apollo is NOT BULLET PROOF!! it is in fact a heap of C**p!
there are lots of SEDBUK A rated boilers that would slide into the space occupied by your Ex Apollo without any problems. ;)

works in Bedforshire and has one in his lock up.... all shiny and new :D

Paul.

Thanks to all who replied. Here is an update on the now infamous Apollo.
I found two places on the web that will supply new exchangers for around the £370 mark.

As I said in my last reply, I would have a go at cleaning the exchanger. I talked to the local plumbing shop and they suggested using 'Spirit of salts'. It's the first time I've heard of it ! So after ripping out the exchanger, no great dramas there, I poured the stuff into the exchanger. That is lethal liquid. I was warned by the guys at the shop, no more than 15 minuets, there is a great danger of the joints being eaten away. After thoroughly rinsing out with copious amounts of water I replaced the unit, filled the system, checked for leaks and bled the system

Now comes the big switch on, I think the term is gobsmacked! In the six years I've been in the house I can't ever remember it being so quiet. I now always run the boiler on low. admittedly, around 30 odd seconds before the the boiler thermostat kicks in there is just the beginnings of kettling but it is a vast improvment on before.

Livy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back