Apollo Pilot Light Problems Again Booooo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just got back from hols in America to find the boiler on the blink again, great :cry:

Thorn Apollo 15/30.

Pilot light won't stay lit.

New thermocouple fitted today still won't have it.

The pilot light lights but won't stay lit and is a good blue flame.

Any help as this is not good news after a holiday and winter approaching.

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Hi
I'd get the guy who changed the th'couple back! He sounds to me as if he hasn't a clue. There are a few very basic checks he could have done to point him in the right direction.
If he's not CORGI regd. then I'd urge you to leave it and get another engineer to do it. You're not supposed to remove the combustion chamber as you're interfereing with the seals & are not able to check them yourself.
Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear
Garethgas

The TC was changed before we went away and all was well.

When we got back it seemed to be gone again so a new TC was fitted, the original TC was £6 where as the one fitted now was £22 and specific to the boiler, I assumed the £6 TC was a universal so sourced a specific part rather than the TC.

So the TC is new as of this afternoon.

Have a engineer coming round tonight so could do with some info, i.e. just some pointers to what it could be if that is possible.

If its not the TC then it could be the ............... etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The high limit stat probably is such that it must be ok and connected ok to hold the pilot alight. Standards stuff for anyone permitted to touch it!

Sorry I cannot help with the problem but I have a similar unit only the 25/30. I am wondering how blue the flame is. Both the pilot and main burner. Is it (should it) be totally blue with NO yellow or is a little bit of yellow ok?

I gave the accessable parts a good vacuuming - there was some white powder on the burner! After that I fired it up and noticed a bit of yellow for both pilot and burner. Can't remember what it was like previously. Maybe it was just stirred up dust being burnt?

I do have a service booked in a few days and expect to leave it switched off until then just in case but would be nice to know ??!

P.S. I have a CO alarm but am more conserved about causing damage by sooting, which I have read about ???! (but not seen any evidence of)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back