Apparent waste leak from under toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came home this evening to find water in the grooves between tiles seemingly emanating from the toilet. I wiped the toilet with some toilet paper and it showed up yellow and smelled like urine.

I’m fairly sure it’s not just my son missing the bowl as the ‘water’ came back after I had wiped the floor and flushed the toilet.

There doesn’t appear to be any leakage from the connection with the waste pipe so I am guessing that there is likely a crack in the toilet. Does that sound right? Can I remove the toilet and seal the crack (if there is one) or am I looking at installing a new toilet?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Of course a crack is possible ,but your son is a more likely cause. If pan is cracked the water level in the pan will be a lower level than historically. If cracked low down then level will be even lower. Inspect closely the pan connector to WC pan joint. If thats dry suspect son.

stir some food colouring into the pan, and a different colour into the cistern. See if either leaks out.

Thanks, guys. I’ve had another look again today and it looks like there is a leak from one of the wingnuts. It must have dried by the time I had a look yesterday. And it looks like the water on the floor is clean on one side but urine on the other - I imagine the water dropping from the wingnut is carrying through a dried up puddle of pee from underneath one side of the toilet. My guess for the moment at least.

I’ve tried tightening the wingnut and no drips so far but will have to check again later. May reseat the cistern if it persists.

(Btw, the dye idea is great. Will keep that in mind for future)

Sponsored Links
if it's coming from one of the wingnuts, it's probably a rubber washer perished.

In some cases the heads of the bolts are through the bottom of the cistern and you can see them. Or they might attach to lugs on an assembly under the cistern, that you have to lift off to remove. This is hard when they have rusted solid. Buy a "cistern doughnut washer and plate" before you start taking it apart. I bought some stainless steel Coach Bolts and wingnuts because I was so angry at having to cut through rusted nuts. From memory I think they are M6.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back