Waste keeps getting stuck in toilet bowl. Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new toilet/shower room fitted (none previously there)

However, toilet waste keeps getting trapped in the toilet bowl. I keep having to pour a bucket or water and use the toilet brush to rod the waste down.

It is not a blockage and the toilet has a strong flush.

However, looking at the pan connector, the fitter used a rigid one and it is not straight (i.e. in line with the toilet). Could it be this?

Besides calling the fitter back, does anyone have any advice on how to rectify this situation?

Attachments

• IMG_20230609_153051703.jpg
    IMG_20230609_153051703.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230609_153057864.jpg
    IMG_20230609_153057864.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20230609_153120222.jpg
    IMG_20230609_153120222.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
You need to call the fitter back to check everything....

A bent pan connector like that shouldn't really impeded the flow and thereby the waste being taken by the flush around the bend and out the toilet.
They have had major amounts of R&D to create the design for these things and they do work well so I wouldn't think that should impede the waste. There are extended bent pan connectors where the spigot side of the connector is longer which would allow it to be more vertical into the pipe in the floor.
th

Does the water level rise significantly in the toilet when it's flushed?

Some modern toilet designs are known to cause trouble with solids not being carried properly around the internal pan bend though, hear it more and more often, especially with the reduced flush volumes.

A bent pan connector like that shouldn't really impeded the flow and thereby the waste being taken by the flush around the bend and out the toilet.
They have had major amounts of R&D to create the design for these things and they do work well so I wouldn't think that should impede the waste. There are extended bent pan connectors where the spigot side of the connector is longer which would allow it to be more vertical into the pipe in the floor.
th

Some modern toilet designs are known to cause trouble with solids not being carried properly around the internal pan bend though, hear it more and more often, especially with the reduced flush volumes.
@Madrab you could be onto something.

I will have to double check regarding the water rising during flushing. But off the top of my memory it does rise more than I would expect

I also just had a look at the reviews for the toilet and one person mentions that it cloggs easily.

As you appear to imply, this could be an issue with the actual toilet. I will contact the seller/manufacturer.

Attachments

• toilet.png
    toilet.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
And there lies the issue with modern WC's, 6 litre flush to save water, but many times it's not enough to clear the pan, so you have to flush it 2 or 3 times, so in the end use twice as much water as an old 2 Gallon cistern would have needed to clear the pan first time..... :rolleyes:

No, the water level looks normal.

And there lies the issue with modern WC's, 6 litre flush to save water, but many times it's not enough to clear the pan, so you have to flush it 2 or 3 times, so in the end use twice as much water as an old 2 Gallon cistern would have needed to clear the pan first time..... :rolleyes:
I am sure that you are right.

However, this is definitely a design issue as the waste is getting trapped in the bowl.

I am pouring large buckets down the loo alongside the 6 litre from the cistern and it is still trapped in the toilet bowl bend.

Often the only way to dislodge the waste is by rodding it.

Could the pan connector be too close to the pan spigot as its at an angle ,cutting off its flow?.

No, the water level looks normal.
Ok, so if that's the case then the flow of water around the bend and out to the soil pipe doesn't seem like it's being restricted. Therefore the pan connector would be a suspect. If it was a 'bottle neck' it would be expected to see the water level rise in the bowl as it flushes and then drop back down. That being the case then the suspect would be the design of the bowl itself and there isn't enough velocity down and around the bowl trap itself to carry the solids away properly. Especially if then using a bucket it still doesn't shift.

Of course there may also be a change in diet required ;)

Siphon action not working on the bowl...water and waste is flowing over the trap wall and is not being sucked over...hence solids remain. Get a spirit level on the loo rim and check that it is level side to side and front to back. Then check for airlocking, sacrifice a bit of garden house, push it round the bend and then flush..

I'm looking at the picture you have sent and think you need yo stop calling him a fitter. It appears to me he's a shover.

Some toilets can have a poor cast.
Regardless if the poor choice pan connecter is to blame or not, it will leak prematurely.

I suggest you get the shover back and maybe as said look at your diet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back