Royal Doulton Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Royal Doulton toilet. When I flush the bowl fills almost to the rim before returning to it's normal level. When a bucket of water is poured into the bowl the water level acts as normal and does not fill to top. The plumber took it from the wall and into the garden where he tried, unsuccessfully, to find any blockage. There is no blockage in the waste stack.

Can anyone tell me how to remedy this?

Sponsored Links
I had a bog that did similar, my plumber mate said it was an old syphonic flush thing, very quite, anything bigger than a carrot and it couldn't cope. He changed it for standard type of flush, more noise but shifts house bricks.

Dont think so, its to do with shape of toilet? hopefully some one else will jump in soon. I steer clear of pooy things. My mate said a syphonic toilet was an odd beast.

Sponsored Links
No , it's a "special", in that it has a pressure reducing "bulb" incorporated within the pan, think you will need a plumber who is familiar with this type of appliance!

Keith.

Had a syphonic pan ourselves a few years back. It had no problems coping with a vindaloo in the morning, but it always worried those not in the know when the pan filled to the brim every time it was flushed.

Much more effective than a lot of these things designed for a 6 litre flush

Only one thing wrong with it..... The suite was bright ORANGE :eek:

I have a Royal Doulton toilet. When I flush the bowl fills almost to the rim before returning to it's normal level. When a bucket of water is poured into the bowl the water level acts as normal and does not fill to top. The plumber took it from the wall and into the garden where he tried, unsuccessfully, to find any blockage. There is no blockage in the waste stack.

Yep, a syphonic suite - that's what it is designed to do. Hope your plumber didn't charge you as he should have known he was dealing with and advised you accordingly.

Not sure about it filling to the top if its a Royal Doulton... I had 2 in my house, (the one from the bathroom now sits in the garage gathering dust), if its the same type, its a double trap syphonic. When its flushed, water should rise very slightly then drop rapidly as syphonic action cuts in to clear contents of the pan. I would suggest either the 'bomb' in the tail of the flushing syphon is kaputt or there's something wedged in the centre trap.

They do block for a pastime, any more than 2 sheets of paper and it cant handle it. I would look at the 'bomb' as 1st port of call, either replace dome washer at base or the entire unit. If it doesnt have an airtight seal where the tube from the 'bomb' goes through the hole into the 2nd trap then the syphonic action wont work. (Found that out from experience.....)

Not sure about it filling to the top if its a Royal Doulton... I had 2 in my house, (the one from the bathroom now sits in the garage gathering dust), if its the same type, its a double trap syphonic. When its flushed, water should rise very slightly then drop rapidly as syphonic action cuts in to clear contents of the pan. I would suggest either the 'bomb' in the tail of the flushing syphon is kaputt or there's something wedged in the centre trap.

They do block for a pastime, any more than 2 sheets of paper and it cant handle it. I would look at the 'bomb' as 1st port of call, either replace dome washer at base or the entire unit. If it doesnt have an airtight seal where the tube from the 'bomb' goes through the hole into the 2nd trap then the syphonic action wont work. (Found that out from experience.....)

This sounds like the one. It must be the syphon in the cistern has gone kaput. I will get a new one if I can. The syphonic toilet sounds like the one they have in airplanes and that is not the one I have.

If its flushing ok the syphon wont be at fault. The 'bomb' is available as a seperate item, there should be a round plastic nut on the tail of the syphon, holding the 'bomb' into the syphon.

Separate cistern from pan, undo the nut and remove 'bomb'. Replace the 'bomb' and carefully lower cistern back onto pan, ensuring the domed washer on the tail on the 'bomb' doesnt get disturbed. This will need to make an airtight seal where the tail goes through the hole into the 2nd trap or the whole thing wont work....

[quote=". I would look at the 'bomb' as 1st port of call, either replace dome washer at base or the entire unit. If it doesnt have an airtight seal where the tube from the 'bomb' goes through the hole into the 2nd trap then the syphonic action wont work. (Found that out from experience.....)[/quote]

This sounds like the one. It must be the syphon in the cistern has gone kaput. I will get a new one if I can. The syphonic toilet sounds like the one they have in airplanes and that is not the one I have.[/quote] Airplanes and bombs.you`ve put me right off flying long haul now :confused:

Thanks, Giblets. Excellent website, :eek: that a lot more parts than Plumbcentre!
I will remember that on next job.

Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back