Royal Doulton toilet - Syphonic ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Royal Doulton toilet. When I flush the bowl fills almost to the rim before returning to it's normal level. When a bucket of water is poured into the bowl the water level acts as normal and does not fill to top.

The above post is from a thread from 2008, but I didn't want to revive the thread. The thread suggested it was probably syphonic, though there was no photo.

Would anyone know from the image below if this Royal Doulton toilet is also syphonic?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It doesn't look like it to me. Certainly not a double trap syphonic. What makes you ask?
Just curious, as I had read in the aforementioned thread that someone had the same brand of loo. I hadn't actually heard of syphonic before, so was curious as to how to recognise one.

Sponsored Links
The brown outside and white inside means it's an earthenware one, lesser quality than ceramic . The connection on the side is for a vent pipe - so it's basically a commercial pan to be fitted in multiples, with a separate venting system.

The brown outside and white inside means it's an earthenware one, lesser quality than ceramic .
Oh, so cheaper to purchase when new.

The connection on the side is for a vent pipe - so it's basically a commercial pan to be fitted in multiples, with a separate venting system.
I had wondered why that was there.

I wonder if these were also used as residential outside loos, or commercial-only. The side connection has been blocked so would appear to have been used unconnected to others.

Syphonic toilets were supposedly almost silent when flushing, indeed with a quiet filling valve installed, (some had the now banned extension tube on a Portsmouth ball valve, which filled the cistern below the water level, making filling almost silent too if supply pipework would allow it). Example here.

and a couple of diagrams in this thread on how they operate. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/double-trap-siphonic-pan-help-needed.389820/

Common in 70's builds, Parents had one in their '79 built house, I had 2 here when I moved in, sadly both long gone now, (the Pampas bathroom had to go upstairs, and despite trying to salvage the downstairs, it broke at the last second during removal when the room was being rebuilt.)

One thing they were renowned for was blocking. Both my Dad and I kept a 4" plunger by the side of the WC as it was regularly needed...

I wonder if these were also used as residential outside loos, or commercial-only. The side connection has been blocked so would appear to have been used unconnected to others.
Yes, outside loos - your one was probably in that situation, the vent just blocked because it wasn't needed. My grandparents had one - it had a hairline crack in it yet never leaked - good for the landlord because their Victorian house made him very little money. Good for them because it was out in the countryside.;) You had to be careful going in there because the walls were limewashed and would come off on your clothes !

Still find a few interesting WC's on the sites I visit for work. Every site is unique, all were built/extended/improved at different times, and many have the original sanitary facilities from the era of construction. Some high level, odd syphonic pan, and some just old toilets that I imagine would have been quite high spec in their time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back