Applied mortar to 18mm ply and shower tray, but it's moving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We applied the mortar mix an hour ago, we thought that when it settled a little it would stop moving, but when tapping one side of the shower tray, it kinda bounces, do you think we have to add more mortar in that area?

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks John

Yes it is stone resin, it's just bizarre as the ply doesn't move...we ripped it up once and put even more mortar on that area as we thought maybe there wasn't enough but it's still moving :(

It's the side against the wall (the longest side) and we haven't put down any sealant along the wall yet in case we have to pull it back up.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
The whole idea of bedding a shower tray down is to ensure that the surface for the tray is nice and level, and has no high spots where the tray could possibly rock.
Therefore if the floor is good and flat anyway, a thick layer of silicone will do - it just acts as a cushion for the tray.
So - if I was using mortar, I'd put an even layer of mortar down, then drop the tray into place....giving it a bit of a shake to ensure it was settling. I'd check the edges to see that they were level.
I'd then scrape away any excess mortar for the edges (that has squeezed out) and then leave it be for at least 24 hours.
Its only quick set mortar that cures quicker than this......and that's not the best for a tray.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back