Applying grouping factors..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious, looking at a recent new build electric install (lots of bunches of wires) - what sort of distance / percentage of circuit length do wires have to be installed in a bunch before grouping factors are applied? I presumed it was like cables passing through insulation - if they pass through a wall or joist for a short distance and are bunched then heat can dissipate without needing to derate - but if more than a certain length of bunching occurs then derating is necessary?

Sponsored Links
Just curious, looking at a recent new build electric install (lots of bunches of wires) - what sort of distance / percentage of circuit length do wires have to be installed in a bunch before grouping factors are applied? I presumed it was like cables passing through insulation - if they pass through a wall or joist for a short distance and are bunched then heat can dissipate without needing to derate - but if more than a certain length of bunching occurs then derating is necessary?
Unlike the situation with short runs through insulation, the regs are silent about what should be done if there is grouping over just a short distance (as, for example, is common near a CU). Purists might take that silence to indicate that any length of grouping should be treated as if it extended for the entire cable run. However, I'm sure that most people would not regard that as sensible, and the impression I get is that grouping is very rarely taken into account at all in the design of domestic (and quite possibly many commercial) installations.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back