Grouping factors for circuits with different conductor CSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate this isn't really within keeping for the majority of this forum but as there's numerous knowledgeable people here I thought I would ask for opinions.....

Looking at Darrell Lockes 'Guide to the wiring regulations BS7671:2008' he mentions that tables 4C1 to 4C5 are for grouped circuits with conductors of the same CSA.
He goes on to mention that to calculate a grouping factor for conductors of differing sizes we can use:

F = 1/sqroot n

F = group rating factor
n = number of circuits

Using this example, a small industrial workshop wired in 70 degree PVC singles through a 4" galvanised trunking (method B) having a number of welders, pillar drills, ring finals and lighting circuits it wouldn't be a surprise to find 9 circuits (for example) running together in one section of trunking.

Using the above formula a grouping factor of 0.33 is obtained meaning a 32A ring final would require 16mm conductors and 10A lighting circuits would require 6mm conductors. Cable sizes for 50A welding circuits would be a total joke.

Am I missing something here?
Maybe the 30% rule, if so how is that applied to grouped circuits of multiple sizes?

Sponsored Links
I maybe reading your post incorrectly but the grouping factors in tables 4C1-4C5 don't apply to single core cables in steel trunking, even if they are the same size?

I maybe reading your post incorrectly but the grouping factors in tables 4C1-4C5 don't apply to single core cables in steel trunking, even if they are the same size?

See Note 3 for 4C1:

The same factors are applied to:
-groups of two or three single core cables
-multicore cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back