Oven circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this might be a bit of a tired subject...

I have just bought a replacement double oven and I'm trying to work out what I need to do about the supply.

The existing circuit is 2.5mm T+E radial on a 20A breaker and the new oven is rated at 5.9kW. That is a 25.7A load so I'll need a 32A MCB. I'm assuming that diversity is not applicable here because it's entirely likely that both oven elements will be on continuously and simultaneously when they are turned on from cold.

The cable route to the cooker switch is approx. 2m through galvanised trunking, 7m through a floor space/clipped to wall and 200mm buried behind tiles (tile singular really). 4mm T+E with method B for the trunking can supply 30A - correct?

Can I install a 32A MCB on a cable rated at 30A for a fixed-load circuit that has no requirement for overload protection anyway? Or do I need a bigger cable?

The trunking also contains two ring finals and an underfloor heating circuit. However, if I apply a 0.65x grouping factor for 4 circuits I'm faced with a 10mm cable for the oven. Do I need to consider grouping? I can't guarantee that the other circuits won't be fully and continuously loaded at the same time as the cooker circuit, but it is rather unlikely.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It is very hard to work out what power is required by an oven over the time taken to over heat a cable. It is dependent on the mass of the oven and quantity of air and food that needs heating. With a industrial installation it is common to have cables fully loaded, but with domestic it is rare. The auto trade taught me a lot about cables grouped together, get an overload of extreme proportions and the wire is reduced to an uninsulated cable out of the harness, but inside the harness which is always stripped just in case, the overloaded cable is A1. The other cables have absorbed the heat better than the cable being in free air.

So likely you are worrying about something which will never happen, if the cable is protected with a thermal overload it takes less time for the thermal overload to heat up than the cable, and you would be surprised to see what overload you can get away with. My son ran a 2.7kW washing machine from a 6A supply, the heater was not on long enough to trip the overload.

I am not saying you should overload any cable, but the standard 6mm² cable used for most cooker supplies should be ample. Using a range cooker than because it has such a large mass to heat up, yes there could be a problem, but most ovens reach temperature within 20 minutes and from that point they switch on and off, and the space is larger than the mark in the mark/space ratio.

Not a good idea, but likely a 20A MCB with the existing 2.5mm² would hold in, so swapping to 4 or 6mm² you really have no problems.

Diversity DOES apply to the oven. The existing circuit with a 20A braeker is adequate. Don't worry about it, I have a bigger double oven than that on a 20A breaker and I have had several years (including Christmas Days when its all going full blast) wnd nothing has tripped, or caught fire yet.

PS, if you are really worried (you should not be), you could put a 25A MCB on the 2.5mm² cable.

It looks like you are assuming that your supply voltage is 230v, I'll bet its more than that. Get your Ohms Law out and see what the current is at the good old English 240v :whistle:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmm good point. The oven is rated for 220-240V. They must assume 240V for the quoted power consumption so that saves me an amp. But then my (uncalibrated) meter says 244V which, if true, would push it back up to 25A.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. Can always upgrade at a later date if it does start tripping. Wouldn't be the worst way to spend a Boxing Day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back