13A oven has been installed on kitchen socket circuit...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am NOT an electrician; but I spotted something that I thought was weird or bad practice.

A friend had her house mostly rewired by electricians a few months ago.

She already had a separate 32A MCB and circuit for Oven/Hobs with a 6mm T/E cable.

And the electricians decided to use that circuit and cable for her built in Hobs.

But then they decided to install a 13A switched fused spur coming off her 16A Kitchen Sockets radial circuit. Which also has the Boiler and a few double sockets with White Goods on the same circuit / 16A MCB.

If I was me, I would have taken the 32A 6mm oven cable into an oven connection box and then two 32A 6mm cables out the bottom of that, one going straight to the Hob and one going a short distance to a fused spur that steps this down to 13A and then a 2.5mm cable to the inbuilt Oven.

So that the oven/Hobbs are on the original and seperate oven/Hobbs circuit, with nothing else.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The oven presumably came with a plug.

He could have connected a socket to the cooker circuit.

Are you sure the kitchen sockets are on a 16A circuit?

It's ok to plug an over into the kitchen socket circuit.

However, if it really is a 16A radial, then it is stupid.

Sponsored Links
The oven presumably came with a plug.

He could have connected a socket to the cooker circuit.

Are you sure the kitchen sockets are on a 16A circuit?

It's ok to plug an over into the kitchen socket circuit.

However, if it really is a 16A radial, then it is stupid.

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies. Yes my friend told me that it was not a Ring Main and i looked at the Kitchen Sockets MCB and i do remember it being 16A.

But i will check it again next time i go around,

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back