electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone.

connecting a fan-oven to a cooker radial circuit : 32A MCB in the consumer unit, 6mm cable running to a 45A cooker control switch and then another 6mm cable continuing to a 'cooker outlet plate'.

now i've trawled through a lot of posts to see what cable size to run to the oven itself... the oven is rated at 2.5kW so i would assume a 2.5mm should be sufficient, but i read somewhere that it's better to continue with 6mm...?

Sponsored Links
You need to fuse the supply down to 13A, in order to protect that oven. Best done with an FCU in place of that cooker outlet plate, provided it doesn't feed any other appliances (hob top?)
this is an FCU, by the way
MKK337.JPG

EDIT: and by the way, once the supply is fused down, you can use 1.5mm² heat resistant flex. This would be unsafe if it were only on the 32A breaker - it can only carry 15-20A or so, which is why they say to continue with 6mm²

crafty1289 said:
EDIT: and by the way, once the supply is fused down, you can use 1.5mm² heat resistant flex. This would be unsafe if it were only on the 32A breaker - it can only carry 15-20A or so, which is why they say to continue with 6mm²

Pendant: not necessaally, its most likely that overload protection is not required because a fixed load is incapable of overloading, which leaves the breaker providing short circuit protection (its no different to a 32A breaker protecting the CPC on a spur off a ring final on a TNC-S system) to check it though you would need the loop impedances, the I²t graphs from the breaker makers and the adiabatic equation

Sponsored Links
thanks for that, crafty 1289, adam_151...

in the end, i changed the cooker outlet plate for a fcu and ran 2.5mm flex to the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back