Kitchen Electrics - Electric Hob and Oven; cooker switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

After some advice please.

Currently have a 32A switch on my consumer unit with a 6mm T&E cable going to a cooker switch in the kitchen - unsure what appliance this fed before.

I am wanting to add an electric induction hob and oven that I understand both need to be wired into a cooker switch.

But, the oven I am installing is at the opposite side of the room, circa 5 meters away from the hob / current cooker switch.

Can I install a 45A dual appliance connector plate to the cable coming from the consumer unit and then;

• feed a 6mm cable from this connector plate to a cooker switch for the hob
  • feed a 6mm cable from this connector plate across the kitchen to a cooker switch for the oven?

I don’t think I can use the same cooker switch for both appliances as oven is 5m away, so is more than the required 2m?

Is the 32A switch and 6mm T&E sufficient to power an induction hob and oven?

Alternatively, I’d appreciate any other ways of achieving (safely) what I’m after.

Running a new cable from a 32A isn’t doable given restrictions in access.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Currently have a 32A switch on my consumer unit with a 6mm T&E cable going to a cooker switch in the kitchen - unsure what appliance this fed before.
I am wanting to add an electric induction hob and oven that I understand both need to be wired into a cooker switch.
Well, there is no regulation stating that but it is a good idea.

But, the oven I am installing is at the opposite side of the room, circa 5 meters away from the hob / current cooker switch.
Can I install a 45A dual appliance connector plate to the cable coming from the consumer unit and then;
Don't you mean coming from the switch?
feed a 6mm cable from this connector plate to a cooker switch for the hob
feed a 6mm cable from this connector plate across the kitchen to a cooker switch for the oven?
Yes, but 6mm² is larger than you need.

I don’t think I can use the same cooker switch for both appliances as oven is 5m away, so is more than the required 2m?
No such rule.

Is the 32A switch and 6mm T&E sufficient to power an induction hob and oven?
Yes. As above 6mm² is larger than you need.

If there are no derating factors in your installation method - through conduit or thermal insulation - then 4mm² will be adequate.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I mean the cable from the 32A switch on consumer unit.

Would it be possible for both the hob and oven to share the same 45A cooker switch if there is no stipulation that both appliances must be situated within 2m of the switch itself? Of course I’d label it up appropriately.

Having looked, it appears the 2m reference was removed from the 17th(?) edition regs?

Yes, I mean the cable from the 32A switch on consumer unit.
No I meant the cooker switch. CU >> Cooker switch >> Outlet plate.

Would it be possible for both the hob and oven to share the same 45A cooker switch if there is no stipulation that both appliances must be situated within 2m of the switch itself?
Yes.

Having looked, it appears the 2m reference was removed from the 17th(?) edition regs?
As there was not a regulation mandating a switch in the first place, it is unlikely where to put it would have been stipulated.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that the setup (if a dual appliance connector plate is used) would be;

CU >> Dual Connector plate >> cooker switch x2 >> outlet plate x2 (x2 as one to hob and one to oven)?

CU >> Dual Connector plate >> cooker switch x2 >> outlet plate x2 (x2 as one to hob and one to oven)?
I don't really understand.

What is a Dual Connector Plate? and

How will you be able to put it between the CU and Cooker Switch and why would you want to?

How would it work to wire up a hob and oven to seperate cooker switches if there is only one direct feed from CU?

Essentially the question is how would the oven cooker switch get the power from the current hob setup of: CU >> Cooker switch >> Outlet plate?

The connector plate is attached, one feed comes in and allows for two to go out?

Attachments

• D2B70C82-97B4-41BF-B729-3AF596564368.png
    D2B70C82-97B4-41BF-B729-3AF596564368.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 44
Oh, ok. I thought you had accepted that you don't need separate switches.

Would it be possible for both the hob and oven to share the same 45A cooker switch if there is no stipulation that both appliances must be situated within 2m of the switch itself? Of course I’d label it up appropriately.
I replied "Yes".

Understood.

Won’t you need the dual appliance connector plate to connect the two appliances together to then feed into the cooker switch?

Or can the connection to both appliances be made inside the cooker switch itself?

Won’t you need the dual appliance connector plate to connect the two appliances together to then feed into the cooker switch?
The wrong way round - not that it makes a difference physically.
It is not the purpose to connect the two appliances together.

The wires and power go to the cooker switch, then the dual outlet plate, then to the oven and hob.

Or can the connection to both appliances be made inside the cooker switch itself?
Well, you could but normally the outlet plate is below the worktop so that it might be accessible later for alterations

If you have a two cables from the switch to the oven and hob, part of them will (normally) be buried in the wall and fixed.

Not necessarily, but it might well be much easier with a "dual appliance connector plate"
There's no electrical reason why not (if it can be done satisfactorily), but you might find it difficult to get all the conductors into the switch's terminals (and cables into its box) - so, as above, to use a 'connector plate' might be the better/easier approach.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you both for your replies.

I ran this past a builder friend earlier who suggested the below - would be grateful if you could let me know if you foresee any issues with this method:

32a from CU to cooker switch in 6mm cable (already in situ).
Cable from cooker switch to feed a cooker outlet plate.
Two cables from cooker outlet plate, 1 to feed the hob and 1 to connect to the other cooker outlet plate for the oven across the room.

So essentially treating the cooker outlet plate as the ‘connection box’ for both appliances.

The new cable that connects both cooker outlet plates can be left under the kitchen units so it’s serviceable in the future, opposed to being buried in the wall.

Grateful for your thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back