Cooker Swithh Question

18 Sep 2023
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Replacing an electric oven with a new one and a gas hob with an induction
Old oven is on an exisiting 32a circuit (6mm cable) and goes into a standard 45a cooker switch
Looking at putting the 6mm cable into a dual appliacne plate to connect one cable to the oven and the other to the hob with cooker switches on both cables before they go to the appliance, so they can be independalty isolated if needed
New oven is rated at 16a
Can i put in a 20a cooker switch from the feed out of the appliance plate, to isolate it, or should it be a 45a cooker switch as before?
Sponsored Links
Anything 16A or more will do.

It sounds a reasonable thing to do but is it worth it?
How often do you anticipate one of the appliances going wrong and you being unable to disconnect the cable?

If you are going to have the separate switches, then you don't really need the appliance plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links