Arc and skirting question ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a full house of skirt and arfc to do. I am using 69mm torus arc and 5 inch torus skirt.

1) What the best way to fix gthe skirt I have always screw i t and filled the holes but what thinking of getting some adhesive like th eone in the link to save filling holes. Has anyone used this or is it best to screw ?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...ngth+Contact+Adhesive+5Ltr/d180/sd2340/p38902

2) Where the door is close to a wall and there is only the 25mm frame on one side what I was going to cut right down the arc tp make it fit. Is this the easiest way or is there any beads what match into torus ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
my preference is to use long thin screws. I find that most walls aren't true, and most boards bow, so you''ll have places where the skirt touches the wall and places where it doesn't, so the adhesive won't work .

It's quite a satisfying feeling when the screw pulls the skirt up tight to the wall (easy.... ;) )

Or you could hire a nail gun.... not much filling of holes needed there !!!

Thats true about pulling the skirt in to the walls. I find when you fill the screw holes you can see them when you paint still, are there any good filler what you cannot see ? Have to check pennies on nail gun and see how much they are to hire, can they nail into no fines ?

Gluing is fine, but use gripfill or similar NOT a contact adhesive. Contact adhesive as you have shown in the link is for gluing thin laminate type material to sheet ply or similar. It does not have any gap filling properties so where there may be a slight gap behind skirting to the plaster there will be no adhesion. Instant nails, Gripfill etc is thick like toothpaste so will touch both surfaces even if gappy.

Sponsored Links
Have just put new skirting and arc in my front room. mdf and ready primed. I screwed into the wall as there was a lack of plaster behind skirting in places. Where I have used no nails kind of product before it has proved difficult in places due to untrue walls so im screwing skirting on from now on.

I used a cheap wood filler in some places to fill screw holes and some with a squirt of decoraters cork then topped up with wood filler when dry (dont ask why). I found the cork then the filler gave a more unnoticable screw hol, all sanded, primed, sanded, 1 coat of paint. It looks great. I was going for 2 coats of paint but no need it as the holes are very hard to notice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back