Arch Constructed From Tiles Filled With Lead - Painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having re-rendered the house and stripped (with a wire-brush disc on my grinder) all paint of window-sills and the tiles creating the arch above the front door porch. I have revealed that the gaps between the tiles are filled with lead! Was this the norm in circa 1960's houses?

Can I just paint over this lead and tiles with the same water-based Dulux Weathershield masonry paint that I am using for the render? Or should I apply some sort of undercoat first?

Sponsored Links
the gaps between the tiles are filled with lead! Was this the norm in circa 1960's houses?

t?
Any old bodge was normal in the 1960`s :oops: Some of the roughest work was done then :cry: . Technically lead shouldn`t be painted - paint don`t stick to it - but as it`s just an edge showing - maybe a couple of mm ? then you`ll probably be ok with it . It`s vertical strips wer`e talking about ? Not a horizontal single cavity tray :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back