Painting exterior render… few queries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I need to paint the outside render of our house. Was going to use Dulux weathershield masonry paint.

I have a couple of questions if that’s ok?

1 - what’s the best way to patch this up (left over from cavity wall insulation) so it matches?

26028426-0CFA-44D6-B066-CA04E6573FB4.jpeg

2 - how should I treat the rust showing through at the corner profiles before painting?

210879D2-2261-4ADE-BBF8-654FD79AC18C.jpeg

3 - what would be best to fill this gap between render and the brickwork?
1A7913C9-EEED-48CC-8C69-49B6F5A8E854.jpeg

Thanks!!
G

Sponsored Links
1. Use a soft filler, once sanded, throw some paint in a small tub of the paint and stipple the finish with a brush.

2. The galvanised finish on the angle bead has failed. You need to prime the edge of the bead. I would use Owatrol oil but you probably don't have any. There are numerous primers/paints that can be applied direct to rust

3. I would use expanding foam, using a gun with a 2mm cone head, something like clear MS Polymer will be fine though

Again, after applying the first coat of paint, use sand to create texture.

4. Yeah, you didn't ask, but enlarge the crack to the left. Then gun in some Toupret Flex and Fill

It is caulk with tiny fibres. Blow away the dust from the crack. Wipe away any excess after you gun it in. Let it shrink back and then do the soft filler and sand in paint

The soft filler that I would recommend is toupret touprelith f filler.

Thanks for the detailed reply, and product recommendations.

For 3. - do I just fill with the OB1, smooth and paint over it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply, and product recommendations.

For 3. - do I just fill with the OB1, smooth and paint over it?

Yeah. MS polymers are almost as flexible as silicone but they can be painted over. I would recommend a white version but if you are heavy handed, you may end up with the white on the brick face

MS polymers tend to need to be painted with waterbased paints first, they can then be painted with oil based paints (not relevant in this case though).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back