Architect or Structural Engineer for Loft Conversion

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was advised by a building company that if i was seriously considering a loft conversion then the best route would be to have an Architect or Structural Engineer draw up the plans.

I have no idea on the difference between the two (sorry), so before i go looking for companies or individuals in this trade would anybody be able to advise which type of person i should be looking for? also i live in the manchester area so if anybody has any recommendations that would also be handy. Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention that I am considering converting my loft into to two pitched dormers.

Sponsored Links
As above, you would not use an RIBA architect for a loft - you'll just get some pretty drawings showing people, beds and pot plants.
A good technician will do the job for less cost, though most lofts require some steel beams, and you would need an engineer for the figures for those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back