Are all frames the same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've had SafeStyle UK in and they've told me that their French doors are A-rated frames and Windows (hard coating on glass - Pilkington K). I've not been able to find out just how good their frames are (sales rep tried talking gibberish to me). Quote was £820.

I then had Everest out and they were mega expensive. However, they have steel running right the way through their frames. They didn't mention the frame rating but said their glass was A+10 rated (a soft coating on the glass - brand unknown). Quote was £3000+.

I then had Malbern out who quoted £940. They said that their windows are A-rated but their frames are only C-rated because of the steel reinforcement. They said that you can't get A-rated frames with steel reinforcement. Is that true?

Also, SafeStyle don't do the soft coating on the glass, such as Pilkington K glass S. Another firm quoted me £1,050 for Ultra N soft coated glass. I didn't check what the frames were.

What type of French doors should I be looking for?

It's a minefield.

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
Have I found the right forum to answer this question or is there a more active one people can recommend?
:D

Thanks

The simple answer is that you will never get a straight answer from Safestyle... their reps don't know what they are on about because they are not experienced enough.

Hard coat glazing cannot achieve A-rating; only soft coat glazing, together with warm edge spacer bars and argon filled air gap will achieve A-rated. You can then go to A+ rated with a few extra tweaks such as low-iron glass and Krypton gas as well as Argon.

Hard coat glazing together with these steps will only achieve C-rating; the minimum standard for replacement windows. If they have said it was A-rated then it was a lie!

Their window frames are of a decent quality, they use Spectus profiles which are very good; however I cannot comment on the other parts of the doors, such as the reinforcement, the handles, the lock gearing, the cylinder locks (ie: the expensive parts).

For an example we would install A+ rated glass, fully steel reinforced case frames and door sashes, high quality handles, Security 2-D hinges, 7-Point Lockmaster Lock gearing and Anti-Snap cylinder locks in Manchester for around £800. However if we dropped it to a low quality you can take off £150.

Sponsored Links
According to safestyle they are a-rated:
http://www.safestyle-windows.co.uk/.../energy-saving-recommended-diamond-window.htm

Having said that, I'd rather have a+10 :)

Have i been told a load of rubbish about steel frames not being a rated?

I also need a new composite front door...

Dimension: 88cm x 206cm

Style: Similar to SafeStyle's Windsor design

Door Knocker: Yes

Letterbox: Yes (silver)

Opening: In

Hung: Left

Inside Colour: White

Outside Colour: Black

Handle: Silver

Side Glass Panel

Dimension: 37cm x 206cm

Frame: White

Hiya,

It seems I went through a bad area for signal yesterday; I did no have your number to call back as it was withheld.

If you can forward me your email address I will send over some prices. Also if you let me know the width of the french doors I can work out what you should be paying. The composite and side panel should be £870 fitted; you can log onto this composite door designer here to see what it would look like; 4 glass designs to choose from and if you click on hardware you can see the options. Please also note you can scroll across on the door slab designs. Composite Door Designer

Hi, sorry I was going to call you back but didn't have time in the end.

The french doors are 1800mm wide x 2000mm high.

I'll give you a call around 1pm today if that's okay and give you my details.

Thanks

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back