are any of these courses suitable

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
WHat is your aim for this learning step.

If it is to earn your living as an electrciain, then (IMHO) you should be looking at the City and Guilds 2330 qualification as a first step.

well i have just been made redundant i have always had a interest . so 1 is to get the knowledge to do some electrical work safely myself but also if it is possible to gain a qualification to maybe become a electrician that would be brilliant .i have looked at these courses but none really say what you need to know where to begin if you starting out etc.there are so many courses

All electrical work now must comply with Building Regulations (Part P, and others). Check out //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law for why.

To do most electrical work you will need to be a member of one of the Competent Person Schemes.

Membership will allow you to self certify your work and notify it to the local authority. The schemes have entry qualifications. See this page
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
and at the bottom you will find a list of the 5 schemes. Check out the membership requirements.

I'm in the same boat. As I'm 35, I'm not keen on spending years in courses or as an apprentice (assuming I could find a placement!)

There's a few 'intense' courses that insist that
C&G 2382-10, 2391-10
and then register for Part-P are all that you need.

But I suspect that leaves a lot of required practical experience out, so what I'm attempting is 2382 (by self-study), 2392 (by short course), find someone to work under for however many months it takes to feel competent before taking the 2391 and registering for Part-P.

I hope this helps - when I last looked back in 2004, the only information that seemed to be available was "spend 5 years as an apprentice" - not very helpful for mid-life career changers!

I'd suggest,
2330 level 2, then progression to level 3, then 2381 as you only need to take short exam as you have level 3 qualification. Most of the inspection and testing will come at level 3 and if you wanted after gaining some experience then do 2391/2.
I would not attempt self learning of 17th eds and would not try to tackle it before level 2 course complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back