Electrical course at college question?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that 17thman's comments are a reasonable response to this:

kevinlondon said:
not sure if I want to do re-wires etc really.

which suggests that you're only interested in the kind of work that any competent DIYer could do. There's nothing wrong with that but. if that really is all you want, why waste time and money on a college course. All the information you need is freely available right here on DIYnot. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'd like to learn how to replace old fuse boxes, how to inspect and test circuits safely etc as well. I know you call it diy work but I know people who have re-wired their home as diy so how far do you classify diy work??

Sponsored Links
kevinlondon said:
I'd like to learn how to replace old fuse boxes, how to inspect and test circuits safely etc as well. I know you call it diy work but I know people who have re-wired their home as diy so how far do you classify diy work??

And so we open the can of worms --

There was a time, not so very long ago, when replacing an old fuse box was a DIY job. :cool: :cool: :cool: But now, with the arrival of the abominable Part P, the whole thing has sunk into a mire of regulation and certification to the point where I hesitate to post advice on this forum in case I fall foul of somebody with a bureaucratic axe to grind. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as I can make out - being a humble medical technologist who only knows how to fix linear accelerators - before you can replace a fuse box you must have the necessary paperwork to prove to somebody, who probably doesn't know an electron from an electrometer, that you are competent to do the job. That paperwork comes in the form of some kind of qualification and, once you have it, you'll be allowed to replace that old fuse box and, more importantly, 'sign it off', thus absolving said person from any responsibility in the (highly unlikely) event that the new 'fuse box' contributes to the injury or death of its owner. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Others have already suggested what kind of qualification(s) you'll need. I have a horrible feeling that I'm beginning to sound like BAS here but might I suggest that if you want to earn a living as a 'proper' electrician you should listen to their advice. :) :) :)

Ok, thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

The 2330 doesn't seem to b available at my local college though, it's got so many others though, part p, inspect & testing courses, 17th edition, etc etc! I'll have to have a look around!

Start off on the Regs. Go on a practical course after that then build to Inspection and Testing which is pretty tough for someone without experience of the two

There's a part p course, called, EAL for Domestic Electrical Installers, which has a large practical content.

Also there are Inspection & Testing courses and 17th edition. As well as PAT testing.

You may as well do the domestic installers course. You'll need to understand the basics on regs so it may well be worth buying some books prior to any cousre you have to do a little studying.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=NUwhT7bGPLLO4QTyuPy2CA&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA#

Most courses you'll take you'll have to invest in the 17th Regs & maybe The On site guide, some colleges do a discount on such books and some expect you to obtain them before courses start....

yep they recommend 2 books for that course. I have been reading some books, like the 1 in the link to understand and learn some on my own, I don't understand what R1 and R" and Ze and Zs is though! Is it hard to grasp by yourself or have I read the wrong book for this!!

Run with it for a while Kev you'll begin to understand Impendance terms and what R1 and R2 are. Just don't try to walk before you can crawl. If you've a basic understanding of Ohms Law it will be ok.

You'll also start realising how high some currents can flow to trip circuit breakers and you'll be astonished trust me!

i know some basic things like the 2 traingle rule to work out resistance, current, voltage etc! I just am finding it hard to understand r1 and r2, ze zs etc on my own with no teaching. I'll keep with it!

i know a bit, like why certain appliances have their own radial circuit, why ring's are wired like they are as they consume a lot of current etc, and have heard of ze' and zs etc but only through reading a but myself, same with earthing arrangements, ie tt, tns tncs. I'd love to learn more, am really interested.
The Domestic Installer VRQ covers none of that

I don't understand what R1 and R2 and Ze and Zs is though! Is it hard to grasp by yourself or have I read the wrong book for this!!
Have a little look through this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm It is not the up to date version, so the valves relating to IR compliance is not correct as stands now, as SELV and PELV are now 0.5MΩ at 250V dc and up to and including 500V with the exception SELV/PELV is 1.0MΩ at 500V dc.
But will point you in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back