Are cheap diverter/thermostatic valves a bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find a diverter valve and thermostatic shower valve that will allow me to send flow to either a rain shower head in the ceiling or a normal hand held type shower head.
However the only ones I can find seem to be either incredibly expensive and old fashioned looking (Mira) or £150-200 and a name i've never heard of.
Are these cheaper valves a false economy? or does anyone know of a better way to acheive what im after.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
HI

what do you mean by diverter valve and where do you intend to fit it ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
However the only ones I can find seem to be either incredibly expensive and old fashioned looking (Mira) or £150-200 and a name i've never heard of.
If you buy an unknown name, ask the supplier about availability of spares. Don't just take "yes they are available" as an answer - attempt to order a service kit for the valve you're about to buy, to put away and have ready. If they can't get hold of one, then don't buy the valve, unless you're prepared to buy and have fitted another new valve when the first one goes wrong.

Are these cheaper valves a false economy?
IMHO, yes. They don't have the technical backup, or parts availability, of the known names. I've lost count of the number of fancy looking no-name shower valves I've taken out because they need spares and nobody knows where to get them. These days I refuse to even embark on such an investigation, because nobody wants to pay for someone to drive between merchants showing them the old valve, and performing fruitless Internet searches.

Sponsored Links
If you buy an unknown name, ask the supplier about availability of spares. Don't just take "yes they are available" as an answer - attempt to order a service kit for the valve you're about to buy, to put away and have ready. If they can't get hold of one, then don't buy the valve, unless you're prepared to buy and have fitted another new valve when the first one goes wrong.

Are these cheaper valves a false economy?
IMHO, yes. They don't have the technical backup, or parts availability, of the known names. I've lost count of the number of fancy looking no-name shower valves I've taken out because they need spares and nobody knows where to get them. These days I refuse to even embark on such an investigation, because nobody wants to pay for someone to drive between merchants showing them the old valve, and performing fruitless Internet searches.

Thanks very much mate, you've confirmed my initial thoughts.

I'll stick to the big names then, bristan, mira etc..etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back