Are decking "kits" any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

I had a garage demolished, last year, and now have a concrete base that is 12 feet x 22 feet.

I like the idea of putting down some decking on top and, from having done a bit of research, realise that the decking frame needs to be constructed using "class 4" timber - i.e. any timber that is going to be in constant contact with water.

I have noticed that there are lots of decking kits out there:

1. Is there any way to tell whether these kits use class 4 for the subframe or will they simply rot away over the next few years?
2. Is it economical to use a kit or could be it be cheaper to do everything from scratch?

Sponsored Links
Apologies - just as an example, if I were to buy this kit:

Could I place it directly on a concrete slab or will it rot away?

I understand that it is pressure treated timber but it does not say whether it is class 2, 3 or 4.

Sponsored Links
Unless specified otherwise, "treated" timber will be the cheapest treatment.

If it's a decent concrete foundation look putting down paving on it. It will be less of a step up on to it, less slippery, and will outlast any timber by decades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back