Are SP or DP grid switches safest for 5A light sockets?

However, in other situations, it could surely be a 'problem'? ... for example, if one used the DP switch to isolate an appliance because one thought that its casing had become live - failure to interrupt the L would then surely be 'a problem', wouldn't it?
So the case has become live, but no RCD or overcurrent device has operated?
Indeed ... as would be the situation if there were no effective earthing of the case and an L-case fault arose. You might say that the requirement for two 'simultaneous faults' makes it 'vanishingly improbable', but the former of those 'faults' could have been present for years or decades without anyone knowing, so it only requires one 'new' fault.

However, as you know, I'm playing Devil's Advocate - since, as I've said, until the two recent threads here, I'd never heard this suggested as (or thought of it as) a downside of DP switching/isolation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back