Grid wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a little area in the corner of the kitchen, within a cupboard, which has a number of electrical switches for the outdoor electrics:

2x security lights
400W floodlight
12W light
outdoor socket
shed

Currently the wiring is a bit of a mess in that there are 4x single gang surface mount back boxes, onto which is installed 2x switched FCUs (one with a neon, one without), a double pole switch, and a twin single pole switch for the 400W flood and the 12W light. Since this is all taken from a spur from a nearby socket, its all very dodgy and illegal probably. Its probably a case of something was wired up, then something was added, then another, then another etc.

So, I plan to update it by having the spur off the socket initially feed into a 13A fuse/double pole switch, then switches for the various items. The lights don't need indicating neons but it would handy if the others did. Since there's 5 or 6 switches + master switch + fuse to all fit in here, is this an ideal candidate for grid wiring eg in a custom 8 gang box? It would certainly neaten up the wiring here.

Since there's 5 neutrals to be connected together; and 9-10 earths (including the earth for the switch/box itself) can you buy or fit a little bus bar into the enclosure?

Or would a small consumer unit be better here?

Sponsored Links
...Since there's 5 or 6 switches + master switch + fuse to all fit in here, is this an ideal candidate for grid wiring eg in a custom 8 gang box? It would certainly neaten up the wiring here.
Sounds like a sensible and neat plan.
Since there's 5 neutrals to be connected together; and 9-10 earths (including the earth for the switch/box itself) can you buy or fit a little bus bar into the enclosure?
One can buy bus bars, but it might be more difficult to find suitable insulated supports for mounting a neutral bus bar to a metal enclosure. I would personally be inclined to use a 6-way or 8-way Wago connector for the neutrals, and to bolt a bit of bus bar to the enclosure (or use a couple of Wagos) for the earths.
Or would a small consumer unit be better here?
I would personally say definitely not.

Kind Regards, John

A small consumer unit with relays and a source of ELV to operate them would then allow remote ELV switches to control them. This may be more convenient, especially if the present location of the switches is not the best for access.[/GALLERY]
The nerd within me definitely empathises with your viewpoint/approach but, for the average person (whether electrician or DIYer) there are a good few downsides of adopting a totally unconventional and 'bespoke' approach.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Grid switch option would be my preference as you have all the circuit wiring in the location and all you're doing is tidy up. BG's method is ideal if you are trying to centralise the "mains wiring" and want discrete control cabling.

If you are installing a grid don't spend a fortune on MK, just fitting one today and the terminals are crap:(

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back