Are Sunvic zone valves any good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buying a cylinder with them on and wonder if anyone had installed a Sunvic zone valve. Are they as good as Honeywell.

Sponsored Links
My only experience with Sunvic valves is of the 3 port type, which wasn't good. Swapped for a Honeywell and no further issues.

Sponsored Links
If Honeywell have a good reputation why can't a copycat valve be made to same standard's. I can never understand this.
All valves have longevity issues,some cylinders also have the same issues :idea:

why not have the cylinder with sunvics fitted and when they wear out consider alternative valves.as long as the cylinder is fitted correctly and your existing/new system is to code then the sunvics will last although the dhw valve which will be operating year round will usually fail sooner-say in 10 years.

nowt wrong with new spring return sunvics,cant say the same with your un named cylinder :idea:

My only experience with Sunvic valves is of the 3 port type, which wasn't good. Swapped for a Honeywell and no further issues.

I too have had a poor experience with the Sunvic 2701 over the past 35 years, on my system. Every year or two a new one, or refurb the old one. It is a poor idea, using a strong spring, in entirely plastic subject to heat from the system and its motor, constantly under strain and a motor running near constantly or stalled. Despite Seered's report of the numerous issues of the Sunvic 1901, it is a much better design and compatible with the 2701, assuming the actual valve i swapped to go with it. The 1901 uses no springs and the motor only runs until it reaches the position required. Unlike the frequent back and forth movement of the 2701, the 1901 does complete circles to achieve its position, in a single direction and then stays put unless the demand for HW or CH changes. So much less wear and no wear unless movement is required and it will also save a few wasted watts.

It is however more complex than the 2701, both mechanically and electrically, plus little more susceptible to water damage, should water get in. That should not be an issue, if the actuator is mounted above the valve/ top upper most. I bought one to examine and test - I was impressed with its much better design, so bought a second as a ready to install spare.

I too have had a poor experience with the Sunvic 2701 over the past 35 years, on my system. Every year or two a new one, or refurb the old one. It is a poor idea, using a strong spring, in entirely plastic subject to heat from the system and its motor, constantly under strain and a motor running near constantly or stalled. Despite Seered's report of the numerous issues of the Sunvic 1901, it is a much better design and compatible with the 2701, assuming the actual valve i swapped to go with it. The 1901 uses no springs and the motor only runs until it reaches the position required. Unlike the frequent back and forth movement of the 2701, the 1901 does complete circles to achieve its position, in a single direction and then stays put unless the demand for HW or CH changes. So much less wear and no wear unless movement is required and it will also save a few wasted watts.

It is however more complex than the 2701, both mechanically and electrically, plus little more susceptible to water damage, should water get in. That should not be an issue, if the actuator is mounted above the valve/ top upper most. I bought one to examine and test - I was impressed with its much better design, so bought a second as a ready to install spare.
All very interesting but if the OPs new cylinder is an unvented then these can not be used , has to be spring return

There's no advice like bad advice :LOL:

Not only in appropriate for Unvented but still a poxy sunvic POS.

The original post mentioned 'cylinder', from that I would expect vented anyway. However I wasn't responding to that post, rather the one which I actually quoted discussing Sunvic units -where I expressed my own experience of them which was entirely relevant, informed appropriate and accurate. Sunvic's actuators are no better, no worse than many of the other spring return units on the market - they all of poor reliability.

My first post here and already you are insulting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back