Are the electrics running straight up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the electrics for this running directly up? It's a concrete purpose built flat . I put a plug in only 15mm and cut in half to be safe and hold this light clock up. Nothing from detector
20210928_132031.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You drilled into the middle of a 'safe zone'.
Not a good idea!
You may have been lucky, the wiring to the sockets and the FCU might run up from the floor - use your detector on a nearby socket and see if you can find a signal. That might give you a better idea.
...and try doing some revision on safe zones!

...and light switches do tend to have wires going upwards.... To the lights! ;)

The detector may not detect anything if there is no power actually passing through any wiring that may be there, meaning if the circuit is dead, not in use? then the detector may not "see" any wiring with no power running through any cables that may be present??

The detector may not detect anything if there is no power actually passing through any wiring that may be there, meaning if the circuit is dead, not in use? then the detector may not "see" any wiring with no power running through any cables that may be present??
As above, depends on what detector you were using and how well it was being used! :)

You drilled into the middle of a 'safe zone'.
Not a good idea!
He might still have nicked the neutral side of a spur. If so, the way to verify that everything is OK would be to plug in a device, switch it on, take the clock off the wall then grab the screw to check if it is "live"...

...or maybe not

Is this a first? Is this the first time we've actually seen the finished result?

20210928_215119.jpg
I wasn't happy about doing this but figured drilling just 12 or 15mm wouldn't penetrate anything. I guess in future never drill directly above or below any socket, switch or whatever this thing is in the kitchen.

Regarding pipes what clues for these?

Last edited:
How about removing the switch plate for a sneak peek ??

Just isolated then took a peek at this one in my kitchen. The collar is at the bottom . I guess taking a peek could be done on any switch or socket to see if it runs up or down
20210928_220242.jpg

One problem is that if you leave the clock where it is without confirming where the cables run, and they do run upwards, some other muppet in the future might assume that there is no wiring above the plate, drill the wall, hit a live and cook themselves.

If the CU is on the same floor, see if you can take a look at it to ascertain where the ring main goes (in fact, is this a ring main or a spur?). It is sometimes possible to see the ring main or spur going up, or down

BTW never trust kitchen fitters to do the job right. There are some right cowboys still out there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back