Are these chunks of ceiling made of plaster? If so, asbestos possibility?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My ceiling developed a crack and I couldn't get my landlords to do anything about it in time, so now the ceiling is falling off (attic above). I'm still trying to find out when the house was built, but I would guess it's about 1950s. Definitely 20th century.

I've read conflicting reports about asbestos having been mixed into plaster, so now I'm concerned. I've blocked off the room, but when it's fixed it will presumably be dust city again as the rest of the existing ceiling is removed plus the rubble currently on the floor.

Anyway, could anyone tell me whether the attached is even plasterboard at all? To me it looks like some kind of card/wood pulp coating attached to cement or plaster, with a webbing material sandwiched in between. The cement or plaster substance is kind of heavy - if I'd been in the room I could have been injured. I'm not sure how much plaster is supposed to weigh, though.

Whatever it is, if anyone has any thoughts on the asbestos likelihood, I would be grateful. Trying to figure out whether to keep at the lettings agents/landlords to have it tested, or do that myself.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

plaster3.jpg

Sponsored Links
could anyone tell me whether the attached is even plasterboard at all?
Plaster onto wood laths, and what looks like painted lining paper or similar over that. No plasterboard there.
The webbing/strands are probably where someone attempted to repair cracks previously.
The only repair now is to plasterboard over the whole ceiling and have it skimmed.

Whatever it is, if anyone has any thoughts on the asbestos likelihood,
Asbestos can be found in many materials and situations.
It's not particularly likely to be found in old plaster, but it's impossible to know without testing.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I've found a lab to test a chunk of the plaster just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back