Are these RAM modules the same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after buying a 2GB upgrade for my Samsung n130 netbook (only 2 weeks old) i'm questioning if i've bought the right RAM as when I boot up the system with 2GB the blue screen saying windows stopped a crucial failure (or something along those lines as it only flashed up briefly before restarting).

The existing RAM stick was :-
Samsung 1GB 2rx16 6400s - 666 - 12 DDR2 200pin

The replacement is :-
Kingston KVR800D2S6/2G PC2-6400 CL6 200pin

This was the text in the ebay listing:-

"This item was bought by accident. It was removed from packaging and installed and the IMMEDIATELY REMOVED from my laptop once the error was noticed. Cheers for looking and happy bidding.
Kingston 2GB DDR2 800MHz SODIMM PC2-6400U(1x2GB) Laptop Notebook Ram/Memory
200 Pin- PC2-6400
Manufacturer-Kingston..This is Brand New Branded Genuine RAM"

Could this be a faulty RAM stick, presuming its the right one in the first place.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It was removed from packaging and installed and the IMMEDIATELY REMOVED from my laptop once the error was noticed.
If they put it in a wrong computer and switched on, then it could have damaged it. No good them saying it is brand new.

Either follow the link on your other forum thread or, with the original memory installed, got to:
Crucial and run there scanner.
It will tell you exactly what memory and how much your computer will take.
Then buy an exact match of the type that Crucial says, but get it from a reputable dealer not of ebay with someone promising it is brand new and working.

Or just.. buy it from Crucial. Their prices are fair, their RAM of high quality. Why go elsewhere?

It was removed from packaging and installed and the IMMEDIATELY REMOVED from my laptop once the error was noticed.
If they put it in a wrong computer and switched on, then it could have damaged it. No good them saying it is brand new.

Either follow the link on your other forum thread or, with the original memory installed, got to:
Crucial and run there scanner.
It will tell you exactly what memory and how much your computer will take.
Then buy an exact match of the type that Crucial says, but get it from a reputable dealer not of ebay with someone promising it is brand new and working.

lol you'd make a good detective :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Or just.. buy it from Crucial. Their prices are fair, their RAM of high quality. Why go elsewhere?

Crucial are the only place I ever buy RAM from, the price is good and if it does not work when they have said it would work in that particular computer, they will replace or refund, no quibble.
Order before about 5pm and you have it the next day.

dave

Thanks for the heads up, looks like a better place to deal with!
Cheers

Peronally i use Mr Memory in Brighton, you get to speak to a real person.

http://mrmemory.co.uk/

Bad ram will cause the laptop to fall over randomly- the wrong ram normally results in bios beeps at boot time.

The ram type looks ok- that said there are about 40 variables to take into account, much more than just size speed and latency.

http://www.netbookusers.com/smf/samsung-netbooks/samsung-n130-netbook-ram-memory-upgrade-guide/

You can download a copy of memtest86 to test the ram for faults

Back