RAM DDR2 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wanting to upgrade the ram to 2GB on my PC so I went to the shop where I bought it from back in Jan 07 along with receipt the chap could tell me which RAM was compatable as im no expert when it comes to PC's!.
The system i currently have is :-

Asrock AM2F6G-VSA AM2
AMD SEMPRON AM2 3400 ( 1800 Mhz )
512 MB A-DATA 533Mhz DDR2 ( 2 sticks )

So the Chap sold me 2 1GB DDR2 667Mhz DIMM and when i replaced these with the existing memory the PC just kept beeping and wouldn't boot up.
Could someone please advise if what I bought was actually the right thing as i've a feeling its not compatible :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be that the RAM supplied not compatible, however it is just as likely that it has not been correctly installed (i.e. not in correct slot).

Do you have the motherboard manual to hand to check positioning of memory modules?

Do not try and use original memory with new memory - at least until you establish that new memory works correctly on its own.

Not 100% sure of this but you will probably have a total of 4 memory slots which will be paired and colour coded (Yellow and Red?). The 2x1GB memory modules will need to be paired in the correct slot (i.e. the same colour).

Hi Tony, Yes thats correct 2 red and 2 yellow, I'll have a look at the manual its up in the attic somewhere and have another go.
Thanks for your advice, appreciated

I tried again, on boot up when the black screen comes up with white writing saying what memory, dvd drives etc you have it goes a bit fuzzy and just freezes.
The manual says it supports DDR 2 800/667/533.

When I put my DDR 2 533 's back in everything works fine.
I suppose all I can do is take the sticks back and see what the chap in shop says.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Igorian, When just 1 of the sticks are used the pc's fan turns but there is no signal to the monitor, just says "no signal" as if the PC was turned of.

what do the numbers 533/667/800 mean is that the speed of the stick (mhz)

Thanks

Hi Igorian, When just 1 of the sticks are used the pc's fan turns but there is no signal to the monitor, just says "no signal" as if the PC was turned of.

what do the numbers 533/667/800 mean is that the speed of the stick (mhz)

Thanks

Hve you tried this with both sticks (one at a time)?

yeah, i tried them separately just incase one was faulty/dud, I can only presume these are faulty or not compatable.
Thanks

If it fits in the slot, then it will usually be compatible. If you use faster than your system can use it will normally just throttle it back to the correct speed, if you use slower than the maximum speed your mobo can use then it will just bottleneck the system.

Not any jumpers on mobo to set speed is there?

Could be defective, unless you accidentally zapped it with static when installing? Do you have nylon carpets?

Take it back and ask him to test it on his system if poss.

Also sounds, sadly, like you might have onboard graphics using the sticks as video RAM, in which case fault finding will be difficult as you have no way into the BIOS!

No ive got wooden floors so hopefully statics not a prooblem.
I dont see any jumpers and i think i do have on board graphics but as i said im no expert when it comes to pc's lol.
I'll ask him to test it in the shop although thier small print says £25 for items found not to be faulty, hopefully he'll not impose that.
Thanks for all the advice.

Static can be a problem regardless of floor type.

Your system board probably does have integrated graphics which may share the main memory. Usually there is a setting in BIOS that allows you to specify exactly how much to allocate.

If you have found the manual you should be able to locate rec. settings for BIOS. You should check that correct BIOS settings enabled. I suspect that to gain access to BIOS screens on your (Asrock) system you will have to press F2 while system booting.

Hopefully your computer shop should not charge you for testing items - the £25 charge sounds like it may be a "re stocking" fee if you want your money back. Rather than asking him to test memory I think you should explain what you have done to a system he supplied and ask him to make sure memory is compatible and working correctly

Sponsored Links
Back