Are these Screws or Nails correct for fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to secure my Overlap fence panel to the timber post

Can I use a combination of the following

Stainless steel screw 5 x 40mm like this

And

3.35 x 65mm round wire nail galvanised

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t use nails, likely to loosen the posts

Whilst stainless steel screws seem great, stainless steel is brittle, the PZ head will mush as the screws are driven in and the screw will get stuck. Or you get the screws in but trying to get them out later is impossible.

I’d choose decent galvanised screws or those green decking screws

I wouldn’t use nails, likely to loosen the posts

Whilst stainless steel screws seem great, stainless steel is brittle, the PZ head will mush as the screws are driven in and the screw will get stuck. Or you get the screws in but trying to get them out later is impossible.

I’d choose decent galvanised screws or those green decking screws
Thanks

Is a 5 x 40mm screw okay or do i need to go bigger/longer?

Longer! Get 75 or 85mm decking screws. Or use metal post clips, (those will be fine with your 40mm screws)

Sponsored Links
I use stainless coach screws for serious fence assembly of the "frame" They go into softwood easily, but you can drill a pilot hole if not. Put washers under the heads.

But post clips are correct for fence panels, I use galvanised clout nails. The galvanising is much thicker than on BZP screws. There is no pullout force, it is all sideways.

For anyone in a similar position 40mm is way to. Short..

As suggested, gone for 75mm deck screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back