DIY hit and miss fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
i am preparing the materials for a 3ft high hit and miss fence to sit on top of a 3ft single brick wall.
What would you use to attach the vertical wood to the horizontal rails? Stainless steel nails or galvanised nails? Or should I use screws ?
I will make the panels up to then fix to 3x3 fence posts.
Here is the wood:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I am going to fix the fence to the fence posts that will be in the ground rather than to the wall. This is the same way as how the old fence was built, but being an old cheap fence it has now broken down in places.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if you are in a marine or coastal area, stainless nails will last much longer.

salt spray rusts steel, even galvanised, quite quickly.

Thanks, yes the fence will be close to the sea, about 200 metres away ! I will go for stainless steel.

IMG_2096.JPG The fence panels have been built, in the end I went with screws to fix it together, the nails weren't really gripping the wood. To say that all the pieces are different sizes, with it all painted the fence looks pretty good

Last edited:
I guessed it was going to be more irregular, nevertheless, looks smart, well done! What did you paint it in?

I guessed it was going to be more irregular, nevertheless, looks smart, well done! What did you paint it in?
Thanks. It has been painted in the Cuprinol Ducksback, that was the worst bit of the job!!!
I have just added up the costs and £125 for the fence and posts, not bad for 16metres of fence.

Last edited:
I went with screws to fix it together, the nails weren't really gripping the wood.

too late now, but you can get stainless annular ring grooved nails, which have sort of rings pressed into the shaft to help them grip. They are a bit cheaper than stainless screws, and quicker to put in. Nails are sold by weight not number, but the supplier should be able to say about how many there are per kg.

too late now, but you can get stainless annular ring grooved nails, which have sort of rings pressed into the shaft to help them grip. They are a bit cheaper than stainless screws, and quicker to put in. Nails are sold by weight not number, but the supplier should be able to say about how many there are per kg.
That's the ones I tried, I did one panel with them but they didn't feel really secure, expensive too £11 for a box of 250 nails!!!

Good job, well done. Great when people post feedback or photos of a finished job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back