Are they trying to dumb us down?

i watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and the BBC. I uses some BBC series on catch up as change from crap films or to give them time to update.

;) Currently I've been watching Line Of Duty. 2 episodes at a time. Some freeview films get watched but there are always periods when we have seen them before. I searched for one on Amazon and guess what - there was an extra charge on it. A few on Netflix showed adverts some not really relating to the UK. I think they have split those off now.

What ever people think about the BBC many millions of hours are watched on it. So what to do - allow it's content to run down. State based so as far as the lot that are in are concerned something to sell off however they will really wonder about selling a news source. Then there are radio programs - some do listen. Loose the world service. They wont fancy that.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Country file has changed. A spell of oldism. Get younger golly gosh reporters instead to attract a younger audiences. Bit strange as some watch it anyway and always have. In some ways it's a documentary type problem and that is why it is watched. Plus the weekly weather forecast but there are other ways of hearing that now. A documentary style program will never be watched by everyone of all ages.

Country file has changed. A spell of oldism. Get younger golly gosh reporters instead to attract a younger audiences. Bit strange as some watch it anyway and always have. In some ways it's a documentary type problem and that is why it is watched. Plus the weekly weather forecast but there are other ways of hearing that now. A documentary style program will never be watched by everyone of all ages.

The weather app takes care of the next ten days and updates to include any changes, so the weekly Countryfile forecast has become more of a tradition, and remains the last bastion of sanity amidst a swamp of 'golly-goshness' that grinds my gears.
It's all about the kids, i guess.
Maybe they could have a segment hosted by some grumpy old git sat in his shed, puffing on a roll-up as he extols the virtues of chicken manure.
I'm available at short notice.:giggle:

Maybe the question isn't about dumbing-down, but making the subject more accessible for people in general.
Encouraging youngsters to get out and about in the countryside isn't a bad thing and making the information more easy to digest would help people become more aware of their actions impact on the environment.

It's not just about making nature programmes accessible but the arts, classical music, classical history, literature and poetry, astronomy and subjects not widely taught in secondary schools that bring a greater understanding of our culture to a wider audience.
It's there for them if they want to watch it.

Maybe the question isn't about dumbing-down, but making the subject more accessible for people in general.

Some things have dumbed down in a way that is sad really. When allowed to have a 2nd channel, BBC2 it was ok'd providing they used it to educate people. These days a program might consist of some golly gosh physicist spouting how great and wonderful various things are they couldn't just do that they had to finds some way to explain it all to people. This sort of thing has more or less gone now.

Country file has changed. A spell of oldism. Get younger golly gosh reporters instead to attract a younger audiences.

It's all about the kids, i guess.
Maybe they could have a segment hosted by some grumpy old git sat in his shed, puffing on a roll-up as he extols the virtues of chicken manure.
Maybe it's a conscious attempt to mimic the 'younger' farmer, or even to try to encourage younger farmers into the profession.

Maybe it's a conscious attempt to mimic the 'younger' farmer, or even to try to encourage younger farmers into the profession.

It's certainly that.
Another BBC programme, the Farmers County Show has younger farmers and family business' highlighting their livestock and produce. Youngsters are regularly encouraged to get stuck in with the day-to-day workings before and after school. Some will go on into the farming life, but not all. It's not easy to start up from scratch with no experience and mostly it depends on kids who're born in to the life.

It is possible to get some education from the BBC but I doubt if many could stomach 2hrs of it. This one is really good. You hear politicians in some cases why what they did was great followed clearly by that there were alternatives. Financial easing was the only solution, and idea from the bank plus a good indication of what it does. A top trader is also around in it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m0013xch/the-decade-the-rich-won

Some will realise that the banking crisis will have influenced brexit. Also that we are not out of the woods but they have increased the paye tax take this time. Other than NI increase in none obvious ways. Similar problems figure all over the west, just a matter of degree.

Sponsored Links
Back