Area for Pea Shingle + Quick Pathway Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've decided to have an area of our garden Pea Shingled due to lack of light, as i cant find a definate answer on this how deep shall i dig the are area? At the moment i've got it roughly at 2 inches, is that enough or not enough after it all settles on the membrane?

For a pathway, could you pea shingle the whole path and just place a few paving slabs on top of the pea shingle as stepping stones? Would this cause too much movement and cause them to sink quickly?
Or would you have to hardcore and ballast then lay slab on that then pea shingle around slabs?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
i can only say dont put the slabs on pea shingle unles you want to go rafting / surfing (its not funny when you dont expect it)

we normally do pea shingle paths to about 75mm deep. easiest way is to lay a brick edging either side, lay the membrane in the bottom and bobs your uncle (well hes not but you know what i mean)

bed the paving slabs on a wet mix of mortar. its only for foot traffic so you wont need hardcore underneath, then just backfill the shingle around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back