Argh, pacific drop valve...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here in Telford?!?! :LOL:

I've bought a Screwfix CC kit, and a 1.5/2in flush valve (Fluidmaster), and a 2in flapper (also fluidmaster), to replace the currently knackered drop valve in my loo (pacific single flush). No idea which one will be needed, so got both.

I'm getting quotes of £45-55 to fit, which is fine...but the 3 guys I've spoken to about it are very "um, err..", and don't sound overly keen/confident about working on the unit!

Now, I'd be game for doing it myself, but my disability means I have co-ordination/balance/upper body issues, and knowing me I'd drop the ruddy cistern... :LOL:

I'd almost be tempted to buy this:

http://www.shop.lunns.net/pacific-2...existing-basket-1290-p.asp?uid=19339501114912

at that daft price, just so I can use the bloody loo, and don't have to worry about it leaking, rather than having people in who'll split it but be that lacking in confidence about it working fine after.

All we bloody need with a newborn imminent. Any ideas, or recommendations out there? Would that Lunns unit I linked to cure the current "continually running" issue? Is it even a good plan? Argh!

Cheers all... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Would that Lunns unit I linked to cure the current "continually running" issue? Is it even a good plan? Argh!

I that the same flush valve thats fitted now ?
And is that the fault it's constantly running into the pan ?

Aye, the unit in it now is a Pacific, looks just like that.

And yes, it continually runs into the bowl, enough to empty the tank in about an hour with the main off, or prompt the fill valve to trigger every 5-6 minutes to top up.

Total PITA. The loo was apart less than 2 months ago to have the donut replaced. Should have ripped it out then..sigh. It was working then though!

Sponsored Links
Spares are unavailable for it..Lunns is the only apparent place that now stock anything to do with it...

AARGH!

I got the unit from Lunns, complete with spare cartridge. Unclipped the old, clipped in the new. Bugger still leaks into the bowl continually.

Old unit was scaled up a bit, but in good shape once cleaned..seals were fine. Seat/basket looks fine too.

The water level in the cistern if left isolated actually drops BELOW the level of the basket outlet. Which I guess means the cistern valve seals have gone.

Either way, it looks like this POS toilet needs to come apart again. Do you think I can get a call back from any of the 5 plumbers I've tried so far? No. I detail the job, explain I have a screwfix CC kit if needed, and a fluidmaster valve ready to fit (dual flush job). All I need is someone to do the physical job.

If it has to come apart regardless, I'm removing the pacific unit. Update to something modern. As far as I'm concerned, I'll then have 2 Pacific valves complete, plus a spare cartridge that are all in good nick, that can go to a good home (assuming I can find one!).

Some local authorities opperate a handyman scheme for the elderly and disabled.
Might be worth a try.

Got it sorted now.. :) Colleague of the missus has a friend who is a plumbing guy. Now minus a Pacific, and refitted with a Fluidmaster dual flush. SO much nicer.

The FM valve seems to dump a hell of a lot of water in comparison..is that normal? Works fine, but seems hellishly powerful compared to the pacific!

I've set the half flush as low as possible - there's definetly 2 levels of flush there - pushing the big button after the little drops the remainder of the cistern fluid. I'd say the half flush is still quite a lot..heh. Or can the small button stick?

Both the full flush and half flush are adjustable independantly - each has its own little slider:
View media item 46873
Sold thousands of 550073 and PRO550UK Fluidmasters and not had any returned due to button sticking.

AGREED charwood i have fitted hundreds they work every time ,,, Thomas dudley was the first with that design which are first class ,,,, the pacific was flawed from day one and should never have gone on sale,,,,, typical of an industry that blames the plumber but churns out sub standerd goods,,, can think of a few defective goods ,,, which are still being produced by the big names

OK. Fiddled with the sliders - all is now fine...bar the fact that twice now I've flushed, it's dumped the cistern water fine, and then stuck open for 5 seconds or so as the cistern fills before it clunks as the valve shuts down and the flush stops.

Guessing I may need to check the cable run from the "button box" to the valve for too sharp an angle. It also drops home with a fair clunk post flush - is that expected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back