Argon filled double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to check if a double glazed window has argon gas in it?.

Sponsored Links
you can't really check for argon gas, it might be printed on the spacer bar though. You can only check for low e coating, but you need a "merlin" low e detector. If it has that it probably has argon gas.

It will have a sticker saying "argon filled"

If not, it wont be argon filled

Sponsored Links
The reason i ask the question is because i have cracked a large window in my conservatory. When the conservatory was ordered it was on the basis of Pilkinton K glass argon filled,both glass roof and side windows. The stickers were taken off by the fitters and disposed of,the only etching on the glass is a BS standard kite mark.The man from a glass replacement company said he could not see any plug holes for the argon filling inside the spacer bars on the window glass,but they are visible on the roof glass. I am sure i have pilkington K glass as you can see the blue tint from the outside. Is it possible to argon fill by another method other than the plug hole filling. I had heard a rumour that if you shine a lighted candle in the dark against the inside of the glass,the reflection in the glass should be of a different colour to the bright colour of the flame on the candle,i.e. the light retracts of the argon gas as different colours !. Anybody heard of this ?.

Sound like rubbish to me on the candle trick - low e coating is actually a thin metallic film, so that may reflect a different colour rather than an inert invisible gas, it sounds like it would have been argon filled. The kite mark indicates toughened (tempered) glass. The fact there is no plug hole means nothing. Vast majority of glass unit manufacturers put the argon gas into the sealed unit without plugging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back