Ariston 27mffi boiler locking out when turning off dhw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first plumbing post, so apologies if I don't describe the the problem very well.

I have an Ariston 27 mffi which works well most of the time. Last winter it started locking out (red light near reset button) intermittently when you turn off the dhw. It happens most often when you've been having a shower, which I guess is when it's been on for a long time. It's been fine all summer, but it's started doing the same thing again since the heating's been on again. It seems to get more frequent as the heating season goes on.

Pressing the reset button has no effect unless you turn on the hot water or the heating momentarily (which of course runs cold). It will then reset absolutely fine and work well for a while until it catches you out again.

I'm pretty handy in general, but I know little about boilers. I've previously added an external expansion vessel to the system when the last one went wrong but that's about it.

I had a search around and think it might be something sticking open. Maybe the diverter valve, or the dhw flow switch. I thought if the flow switch stuck open it might cause overheating because there's no water to heat hence the lockout.

Does this jump out at anyone as something obvious thats wrong, or perhaps I'm completely off the mark with my guessing!

Please help! I want to avoid the hassle and cost of calling someone out if I can, as I know I can fix it if it's something simplish.

Sponsored Links
I guess this is a tricky one.

One other important point I didn't mention is that if you're very careful to turn the water off slowly rather than just turning the tap as normal, it will always be ok. Does this give any other clues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back