ARISTON AND ON AND OFF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought i'd read a little before calling a CORGI engineer out, glad i did now after reading the 'BIG DEAL' topic.
I have an Ariston MicroGenus 27 Combi, it was fitted about mid June, but we have only just moved in, everthing works fine throughout the day, but when it is left standing over night something mysteriously happens, and every morning i have to press the reset button to start it up. the timer is set to come on but it does not. can anyone offer ideas of what to look at before i phone THAT man in phone book. thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Organise your second morgage first before you call an engineer to fix it

I agree with Nobby, he had to borrow around £150 (according to his post, if I understood correctly) so he really got taken to the cleaners especially since the part cost £90.

And knowingly he browbeat the guy who went in to repair his boiler- see GORGI post.

Sponsored Links
Returning to the actual problem....
Do you have your boiler set to E(conomy) or C(onvenience) mode?
I have come across this problem (or very similar) on a recent Microgenus. What was happening was that the boiler was firing briefly to preheat the water then locking out due to an (apparent) overheat condition.
In my case the solution was to change the boiler's internal settings to use fan overrun instead of pump overrun. There's a jumper on the PCB which controls this.
Given that the gas train is not affected, you MAY be able to get help from Ariston to identify and change the jumper yourself. Given the age of the boiler they may send someone out FOC anyway since it's a new boiler and it seems to be a 'manufacturing problem'.
OTOH, it could easily be something else altogether. Try leaving the boiler in E mode overnight. If lockout goes away, that tends to confirm my guess.

Nobby^1 said:
Organise your second morgage first before you call an engineer to fix it

I make this point based upon the comments from some engineers who feel that £800 a day is a fair price to pay to have your boiler fitted :p

Nobby^1 said:
Nobby^1 said:
engineers who feel that £800 a day is a fair price to pay to have your boiler fitted :p

Don't be ridiculous. British Gas price in winter is a much more reasonable £2000 per day.

I fitted a boiler recently for £1500, including a 1day powerflush (not their20 minute one), where they had quoted to move the boiler (which wasn't necessary at all), and charge £4000.

But the answer is simple, it's a free market. If you want heating you have to pay the price. If the job was that easy there would be a stream of people waiting to do it for £200 a day. There isn't.

ChrisR said:
Nobby^1 said:
Nobby^1 said:
engineers who feel that £800 a day is a fair price to pay to have your boiler fitted :p

Don't be ridiculous. British Gas price in winter is a much more reasonable £2000 per day.

I fitted a boiler recently for £1500, including a 1day powerflush (not their20 minute one), where they had quoted to move the boiler (which wasn't necessary at all), and charge £4000.

But the answer is simple, it's a free market. If you want heating you have to pay the price. If the job was that easy there would be a stream of people waiting to do it for £200 a day. There isn't.

So its clear that you feel £800 to fit a boiler is reasonable then. Just because some companies charge silly prices doesnt mean you all have to.

Fitting a combi boiler aint rocket science

Seems like the price war might go on for some time, thanks Croydoncorgi for your reply, leaving on 'e' mode still caused lockout, but this time during reset the yellow LED began to flash, does this indicate a new problem or just part of the existing one. the manual offers a possible fan or flue problem but i have checked for blockages and found nothing, the fan seems to work fine and the flue is about 1.5 m long and clear.

this could be a worrying £2000 a day job what do u lads think????? :cry:

Now then I just thought of something, are we talking £800 to supply and fit a boiler or are we talking £800 just for the labour?

Nobby^1 said:
Now then I just thought of something, are we talking £800 to supply and fit a boiler or are we talking £800 just for the labour?

I used to think like you before I actually started on the tools, now I know how it actually is. £800 a day is a decent rate, almost half of what I used to earn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back