ARISTON SX20 Loosing Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ariston combi boiler that has suddenly started losing pressure. Before I call out an engineer, can suggest what might be the problem.

The pressure is usually between 1 and 1.3, with the occasional topping up (every 6 months or so).

Yesterday the pressure fell to 0.5 and once I refilled it to 1.0, it fell to 0.5 again over a period of about 6 hours.

There is no discernable leak.

I would appreciate some advice on what the possible causes could be, so that I have some understanding of what the engineer is talking about.

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
There is usually an external PRV (red valve) under your boiler from which a pipe goes to out side.

Check to see if this is dripping. If not check all rad valves by the lifting the caps off.

Hi again
I checked the red PRV and it seems to have lost it's 'spring' action. Normally I think you turn it to release pressure and then it springs back to the original position. The one on my boiler is loose. Can't tighten or loosen ti - just moves from right to left.
Does this mean it has to be replaced or can the spring mechanism easily be fixed? :?:

Also, my boiler is boxed in with an access hole for the PRV. Will the box have to come off to fix this or could they do the work via the access hole? :?:

Thanks again for your advise.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what one they have used. If is a standard red Calefi (ignore the spelling) then you change change the internals and just clean the fact of valve body.

Otherwise you'll probably need to change the whole valve - a picture would be nice.

my boiler is boxed in with an access hole for the PRV. Will the box have to come off to fix this or could they do the work via the access hole?

Dunno - send a picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back