artex ceiling and plastering query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently moved and one issue I want to deal with is a couple of artexed ceilings. No idea how long its been there. House was built in late 70's. There were a couple of patches in living room which to me looked like in the past they had 'bubbled' for some reason so was an air pocket behind it and a slight mound in the artex. I thought that there may have been a damp patch at one point as have problem with boiler which was overhead.

In my wisdom i decided to put my finger in the bubble bit of artex as i thought it may have been damp. It wasnt but all around was very loose so i pulled the really loose bits off.

My query is that as I want the whole ceiling skimmed I am concerned that weight of the plaster will bring the whole artex down as it doesnt appear to be bonded that well. Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't plaster over any surface that's questionable/ un-sound. Get a "reputable local plasterer" to come in and advise you on the best way forward with your ceiling.

Without seeing it, it's difficult to advise.

Definitely be careful with the Artex in case it's the asbestos containing type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back