Artex or Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to complete for a new build 3 bed house.

The developer have informed me that the Ceilings have been skimmed instead or Artexed by mistake.

Should I accept this or ask for them to be artexed?

Sponsored Links
"The developer have informed me that the Ceilings have been skimmed instead or Artexed by mistake." ! I assume "or" should write "of" ! If so, then i HIGHLY advise to leave them skimmed. The reason is cause if some hairline cracks appear then its alot of work fixing them if artexed, but easy to fix if left skimmed.

Personally I hate artex, so I would be happy with a skimmed ceiling, but if you really want artex then you should be entitled to have it.

A1056688 said:
I am about to complete for a new build 3 bed house.

The developer have informed me that the Ceilings have been skimmed instead or Artexed by mistake.

Should I accept this or ask for them to be artexed?

they have done you a massive favour, now youve got a wider choice when decorating ie Paint/wallpaper and artex. like thirdeye says its nearly impossible to repair an artexed ceiling. Maybe you could get some coving put up as a good gesture from the builder ;)

Sponsored Links
stomach said:
Personally I hate artex, so I would be happy with a skimmed ceiling, but if you really want artex then you should be entitled to have it.
The problem with artex is in my opinion is people should not get any bedrooms or halls or kitchens or bathrooms artexed and should only get there livingroom artexed with an lovely combed design, but the combed design has to be done 100% accurate to have an attractive effect & also it is the upmost importance that it is kept in line. Also, rooms that does get artexed in new build then you must apply paper tape and not fiba tape as the fiba tape is more prone to allow cracks to seap through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back