artex or polycell stipple-magnolia as a mist coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My dinning room ceiling has a sort of artex effect but not artex! There used to be some sort of polycell stuff that was used for bad ceilings with a sort of grit effect in the paint-well that explains the finish! The ceiling looks like it was badly cracked and the stuff has covered well and probably been there a number of years. It has a white sheen finish and I want to emulsion such. Any advice or recommendations as I fear any coat peeling! Could I get away with Trade vinyl matt?

Also I have new skimmed walls. The problem is that what ever was used by the plasterer to fix the coving has left runs which are difficult to remove...even sanding means leaving a hardened run. Also the stuff is either side of coving means paint won't cover ceiling/ walls and again needs much sanding. Any recommendations of what grade sandpaper to use before mist coat?

The skim is a light brown...if I paint with magnolia will it cover better i.e. mist coat being a similar colour rather than white?

Thanks for any advice.

PS The house is victorian with lovely architraves, but the gloss was peeling with so many coats. Removing such with a heat gun (the whole house) is an experience that I won't forget...especially the thick dark varnish underneath that gave off even thicker toxic fumes: :eek: You might not even realize you're inhaling a nerve agent until your respiratory muscles start twitching.

Sponsored Links
Buy some Leyland Vinyl Matt for overcoating your Polyripple.

Sounds like PVA has got onto the new plaster, in terms of your runs. Is the runs all over ?

'Sounds like PVA has got onto the new plaster, in terms of your runs. Is the runs all over ?'

Yes. The plasterer did a good job but his mate was responsible for the coving. Did a mist coat on bedroom and only noticed the runs then and they weren't easy to sand off! Same prob in hall and dinning room as there are a lot of shiney runs which as you say is PVA. It would be easier to sand them prior to mist coat as it isn't easy to get the PVA off even the skirtings. Any suggestion what grade of sandpaper for the walls? Thanks for your help as greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Wet sponge the PVA that is on the skirtings and leave for 2mins, then do again. Then leave for 2 mins, then the PVA will had started soften, as any miosture that gets to PVA then it softens and turns back to white (simular as it was in the tub). NB this is assuming they did not use Exterior PVA !

What exact Brand and Name of paint did you use to mist coat ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back