Artificial Grass Installation Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to lay a small area (6m x 4m) of artificial grass for my daughter to use an pseudo astroturf to practise her hockey skills.

Viewed several different videos on YouTube and read numerous installation guides and everyone seems to want to do it differently.

Requesting any tips based on practical experience of how you got it right (or wrong).

Firstly, installing on a soil base, so would 50mm of sharp sand compacted with a wacker plate be sufficient base ? or should I go deeper?

How to secure grass mat to the base?
Any opinions as to whether it is better to nail into wooden frame or to nail/staple into the sand base? What size nails?

Need to build a timber frame to contain the base, what size timber would you recommend ?
I guess thickness depends on whether I am going to nail into it.

Weed control membrane: between soil and sand, or sand and grass, or both?

Any thoughts from the forum greatly appreciated - I only want to do this job once!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back