Artificial Grass sub-base - thoughts on best method? Mixed methods online.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to lay artificial grass on an area of my back yard. I have read a lot of How To's about this online, and seems OK, except for the fact different people are recommending do the sub-base in different ways, I am not sure which is best? Does it matter?

Here is a summary of the differences, when laying it on soil:

Sand/Aggregate
Some sites say put just sand (e.g. 35mm to 50mm) on top of the soil, no mention of aggregate
Some say put aggregate down first (e.g. 50mm) THEN put the sand on top, (e.g. 25mm), so 2/3 aggregate 1/3 sand/stone dust

Some say the aggregate helps drainage but I dont have a drainage problem I dont think, but I do have a depth of 75mm, which I think is too much for just sand.

Membrane
Some say put the membrane down on the soil, then aggregate on top - to stop aggregate sinking into soil
Some say put aggregate on top of top layer of sand (this seems to be most common)

I am inclined to put it under to separate the aggregate from the soil, but most of them say out it on top

Depth
This varies a lot. Some say 50mm aggregate/25mm sand, some say more, one even says 100mm aggregate with 25mm sand. It really does vary.

Compacting
Some say you can use timber or bash it with a spade, some say a whacker plate. Although I do know the whacker plate would be best, will it still be OK using timber or whacking it with a spade, as I dont have a whacker plate?

What do people think about this mixed process online? Does it matter?

Method I am choosing unless this forum throws a spanner in the works:

• I have 75mm total depth, so...
    • 50mm Aggregate
    • 25mm stone dust
  • membrane layer
  • artificial grass

Thanks!

Edit: forgot to say, my size is only 4.7m x 2.6m, and will have people walking on it, nothing heavy. maybe the sub-base method depends on the size and what its used for. We will only have it for a few years until we get a new patio aswell.

Sponsored Links
I'd go soil, membrane, grit sand, grass.

Fix it firmly round the edges, if it ever moves, peel back and top up the sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back