Artificial lawn sub-base enquiry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had enough of my bare, miserable pathetic lawn...i've tried everything - but ultimately, a 3 storey house robbing it of sunlight all year has won.

So i'm putting an artificial subsitute down...

After digging the topsoil and knackered grass up, i have found that the earth is pretty much all clay - my exisiting grass pools up with water during wet weather so i know the drainage is poor...

I have read that laying a course, grade 1 aggregate like crushed limestone beneath a layer of sharp sand can sort this...what i cant find is how deep would i need it?

The area is roughly 5000x8000mm...can anyone give me a rough guestimate of how much this would cost? (i dont have a trade account anywhere)...

Any other tips/pitfalls to watch out for?

Sponsored Links
If your lawn does not drain properly an artificial lawn will not drain any better.

Adding a course aggregate will simply act as a holding tank for more water which if the ground is heavy clay will not soakaway to anywhere.

The turf mftrs would be the best bet for advice but 75mm well compacted would probably suffice as a sub base. If you want to lay it deeper for drainage then as above.

If your lawn isn't level, do as you say.

Layer of hardcore, then sharp sand, the water will drain through the grass and run away....in my experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back