Artificial turf for person with mobility issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at either decking or artificial turf for an existing ageing patio. If I chose decking it means lifting the patio but if I chose artificial turf I plan on leaving the existing patio and following the well documented steps on laying artificial turf. Note the existing patio is a couple of inches lower than the surrounding levels so this works out well as a ready made bed if I go down the artificial turf route.

I'm doing all this as my partner needs a walking stick and may need to use a wheelchair in the future to continue her love of gardening so I'm trying to make access easier by reducing steps and levelling access routes. Apart from the typical foot fall there will in addition be the need to support a walking stick and or the wheels of a wheelchair so does anyone foresee any problems with using artificial turf?

Sponsored Links
I see you're in Sussex - I bought some excellent composite decking from Shepherds in Eastbourne. Put it on a frame resting on the old patio slabs. A good non slip surface unlike wood - could be made into a ramp too.

I see you're in Sussex - I bought some excellent composite decking from Shepherds in Eastbourne. Put it on a frame resting on the old patio slabs. A good non slip surface unlike wood - could be made into a ramp too.

Hmmm.....didn't actually think of using the existing patio as a base for the new decking as was going to take the whole lot up and put a framework in place supported by posts bedded in concrete. That indeed would save a lot of time :)

Its a toss up really where you want the ease of access. Decking can be laid flush with a threshold to give an easy transition out of the door but then you need either steps or a ramp at the edges of the deck where it meets paths.

Artificial turf on the other hand will be easy give seamless transitions to the paths and rest of the garden but can not be laid up level with thresholds like decking.

If its an enclosed courtyard type area with multiple doors decking is better but if its a conventional set-up with one patio door leading to a conventional garden I would have the grass without the steps and ramps everywhere. You can then add a ramp directly into the one door now or at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Its a toss up really where you want the ease of access. Decking can be laid flush with a threshold to give an easy transition out of the door but then you need either steps or a ramp at the edges of the deck where it meets paths.

Artificial turf on the other hand will be easy give seamless transitions to the paths and rest of the garden but can not be laid up level with thresholds like decking.

If its an enclosed courtyard type area with multiple doors decking is better but if its a conventional set-up with one patio door leading to a conventional garden I would have the grass without the steps and ramps everywhere. You can then add a ramp directly into the one door now or at a later date.

Luckily none of this is a problem as the area itself only transitions to a newer patio with only a couple of inches difference in levels. My main concern with the turf is how it would react to the pressure of a walking stick or the turning of a laden wheelchair though my partner is quite light.

It depends how its laid. It can be laid direct on a concrete base which would be very firm or normally it would be laid on compacted hardcore topped with an inch or so of compacted grit sand.

Laying on the grit will give a softer surface. Walk on an artificial football pitch for an idea of what that would be like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back