Level for topsoil prior to turfing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done all the grunt work and it has taken me weeks to get my soil ready for turfing. I've broken up the heavily compacted clay, added some compost to loosen it a bit, tilled it, raked it and destoned it.

I've tamped it down by walking over it, raked it again, etc., etc. My only question is this: I have stepping stones which have been set on concrete foundations and so I need to ensure that my final lawn is level with these or, presumably, ever so slightly higher. Should I ensure that my topsoil, once tamped and raked is level with the stepping stones so that the turf sits it's thickness above the stones on the basis there will be some settlement over the next few months or should I level my soil to say 1/2" below the level of the paving stones so the turf is level with them when laid.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I layed my turfs level with the stepping stones, you can then use the mower & know you wont be hitting the stones, works for me.

I layed my turfs level with the stepping stones, you can then use the mower & know you wont be hitting the stones, works for me.

Thanks.

My soil has just been tamped down by walking over it, so no deep compaction. What I'm worried about is a degree of consolidation/settlement/compaction over the ensuing weeks or months causing the newly laid lawn to drop down a tad.

I've seen one "guide" say to level the soil with any surrounding patio precisely to allow for compaction but can't work out if that is pre tamping or post.

Sponsored Links
generally i lay the soil level with the paving and let it settle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back