New lawn

Well, then I should imagine with soil improver then you should be ok. I really would mix some organic matter in there, it is the best solution.
If you live near any farms or riding schools, they often give manure away - or use something else.

If this is your home for some years now's the best time to do it properly. It's much harder to improve clay soils after you've turfed, see your neighbours flooded lawns for example. The fact you're starting from scratch is much easier to sort it out for a good healthy lawn that shouldn't give you any trouble. Just try not to cut corners, although tempting!

Sponsored Links
Well, then I should imagine with soil improver then you should be ok. I really would mix some organic matter in there, it is the best solution.
If you live near any farms or riding schools, they often give manure away - or use something else.

How long does that take to improve the clay soil?, And would I need topsoil as well before layingnturf.?.

Gypsum plaster does work, but you have to mix it in well so the particles flocculate.

I found the best results raking the dry powder into dry, broken soil. If you put lumps down they can take years to break down and will only mix in if you keep digging, e.g. in a potato patch.

Old horse muck is also good, but you can't mulch or dig it into a lawn. On a bed the worms will take it down for you as it rots.

BTW if you have stony soil, consider a Scheppach Rotary Sieve. It takes out the stones, breaks up the lumps, and can mix in your grit, gypsum and compost.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How long does that take to improve the clay soil?, And would I need topsoil as well before layingnturf.?.
If using something like manure or compost, I would leave it over winter. You can lay the turf if you wish but as I said in a previous post, it can rot down unevenly, leaving you with a lawn with bumps and pits plus fresh manure can sometimes 'burn' roots of young plants (grass). Personally I would still use topsoil. It's far easier to rake and flatten for laying turf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back